Thailand-China Submarine Deal Suspended Following Concern Over Jeopardizing Ties With Washington

cavanami

Maybe the Thais could order from the Germans for a discount. If they add 3 subs to the Saudi order of 5 they should become cheaper!

And we all know the high quality of german submarines! And yes they used them in very shallow water in wwII as well.

• Like 1

post-98-0-28313800-1437299086_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-87220900-1437299219_thumb.jpg

https://en.wikipedia...class_submarine

A few years back, the Thai Navy was looking at buying several second hand U-boats from Germany, sensible subs meant for coastal defence. I mean, if you're going to buy subs, buy them from the folks who know them best - not the Chinese! But apparently now they've decided the want brand new subs made in the glorious PRC, whose name is synonymous with high quality. They'll look swell tied up next to their aircraft carrier (which has no aircraft).

The problem is that Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, the Philippines, and Vietnam have submarines. "Aw, gee. All the other kids have them. Why can't we?"

I am sure that 5 Chinese-built submarines backed by the the planeless carrier with Admiral Somchai in command shall forever make the Thai navy the dominating force in the South East Asian seas , such as Thai Airways in the air . If only they could spare some cash to improve the sidewalk either side in Soi 4 between Narai massage and Sukhumvit .

- perhaps the US wants to sell them stuff, but not submarines right now, I think, US companies are not in the running (and might have difficulties with the current regime status, I'd imagine). I think it's more just an alignment issue that the US wouldn't like - who knows, the Chinese probably put a little remote control command-and-control program in the subs, a couple guys can run them from a base on Hainan while the crew on board wonders why nothing is working the way it's supposed to...

Just poking around online, it seems Thailand used to have a handful of Jap subs they got in 1937, decommissioned shortly after the end of the war: no parts or maintenance, and no purpose. But hey - never mind that the last misadventure turned out to be a waste - buy some more, why not. Big toy boat, sanuk!

Thailand is a huge market for U.S. munitions items, ( support, parts and so on) for aircraft, comm equipment and so on.