New Apples

radioman

Watched the event last night, not overly exciting given we all knew what was coming, pretty much anyway.

So what's your take away? Anything to interest you in a purchase?

I bought an iPhone 6 pretty much when they first came out. I had a 4 when they came out but junked it early on due to a lack of capability in iOS at that time. Been very happy with the 6 and in particular it's integration with my iPad (air2) and MacBook Pro, TV4.

As for the new products:

TV4K: What the TV4 should have been from the start. A little disappointing they only added 4K, the loss of the optical audio port when they introduced the 4 is still a little annoying.

Purchase?: Most likely. I have a 4 here in Doha and it is my primary media interface, I run a PLEX server for my downloaded movies and tv shows and the free PLEX app works well on the TV4. Having recently bought a spiffy new 4K TV at home I will likely get the TV4K for there.

Watch series 3: Hmm, they added cellular, for a bare arsed handful of countries, whoopee doo. Bit of a miss this one in my opinion. Sure the bare arsed handful of countries represent likely a majority of customer markets but who cares. If it can't work everywhere it might as well not work anywhere is my take. Some cool software and as a personal health tracking device, a massively growing market segment, it's probably the tool to have.

Purchase?: Maybe, Thought about it from the first one but never really excited enough and not sure I am now, yet. That said I have promised my boy one for his next b'day and may just hop on the wagon with a matching one. Daughter is likely to make gooey eyes at this point and who can resist a 16 year old doing that :grinyes: I'll likely cave, which will then result in wife doing a pout, as she quite likes her watches. All up I could be in for 4 of the buggers :D .

iPhone 8-8Plus: Okay so the second biggest launch of the day, but why? This feels wrong in view of the biggest launch, and I'm not sure who is going to buy this. Apple has long been a premium brand and people buy their products because they are that in part. As such I see the 8 as just a reheated 7. They did ooh and ahh over the new internals and the all glass outer and the wireless charging (at long last) and this may all be an improvement on the 7 but, really? Definitely second tier and so overshadowed.

Purchase?: Not likely, at least not personally. Now I've bought a few iPhones since my 6, some 6's a 6S a 6S plus and a 7. Nothing in these that I saw the need to upgrade my own 64GB 6 over. For me the 8 is mostly more of the same.

iPhone X: Or 10 as it's being called. Well it's the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, so it seems a reasonable marketing move, and this is what we came for. Looks very nice. All the newest toys they could squeeze in it and even if a few have been around a while I fully expect the Apple incarnation to be less of a risk in terms of flaky behaviour, it likely will do what they say it will. Looks nice and at least they kept a 64GB model, that's a perfect size for my needs but the limited release colour options are a bit of a shame. Maybe that will change in the months ahead. And er, it's a $1000, in the US!

Purchase: Quite likely. My 6 is probably going to look a bit more dated against the X which is reaching the point now of needing a replacement battery. I'm keen to have an iPhone with wireless charging and who can deny that cool is cool so just the gadget geek inside me says I'm gonna get one. Problem will be that gooey eyed 16 year old daughter who is going to plead for an upgrade from her 6S. Only the lack of pretty pink one might dampen her spirit I'd say.

The silent releases.

Well not quite but they were relatively quiet against the din of the above.

iOS11. There was actually a fair bit on this included in the iPhone X spiel but it's not so much news. I've had public betas on my iPad for quite a while now and though the iPhone release is still a week away my iPad offered me the full release version last night. Biggest change for me seems to be the control centre and I'm a bit 50:50 on it. There is some stuff though that I'm intrigued to play with, especially the picture apps on a new iPhone with improved camera capability. Also macOS high sierra and a new iTunes with no built in App store. I need to see how these work out before I comment.

For me though it was AirPower, well they couldn't exactly call it iPad now could they. A wireless charging pad that allows you to charge an iPhone, an Apple Watch, and Airpods case, all at once. Definitely some Apple cool here. I've been using Airpods for a while and can't go back to wired ear pieces they're just too seamless for me. Having this "pad" at the bedside, which is where my phone and Airpods usually spend the night this is likely going to be a must have for me.

What about you? Any interest in these devices?

The facial recognition on the iPhone X could be a problem, if the law or the baddies hold up the phone and make you look at it, it will unlock.

I cannot see that being a good thing at airports....

If I had the money, maybe an 8 Plus...

I have a 6 Plus and I like it....

I think smartphones are a mature technology and are so good already that a lot of the new features strikes me as gimmicky and as such, I don't feel any of these new phones are a compelling purchase. I mean it's all very well that it has facial recognition and you just look at the phone to unlock it - but some of us, like me, don't lock our phone in the first place. And on those few occasions when I do, inputting a 4-digit code is hardly a great ordeal!

I'm still happy with my iPhone 5. It's 5 years old and whole the battery life isn't what it was, it still works perfectly. I'll stick with it for the time being.

I used to think that the Plus sized models were too big, based on all the cute little Asian girls, that had one and when in use, you could'nt see their faces. But I got one that was damaged and I had its screen replaced, it's 256 GB and now I love it.

Playing GOW on it and using GPS navigation is a great experience.

I just love tech stuff, old and new. The old stuff is often quite brutal but fun to play with and I can get inside and fix it Still use a lot of valve (vacuum tube) stuff from the 60's

IMG_9853.JPG?m=1487839448

"Stuff", like an iPhone, is just magic, the integration and engineering on such microscopic levels I find quite captivating. In use, it just gets more awesome and it seems what you can do is limited only by your imagination. Calling these things phones and making calls sets a rather low bar. Don't think I've made a regular phone call in ages, it's all WhatsApp, Line or Skype, voice, video, texting. My phone, if you insist, is my primary camera these days, it's always with me and today is as good if not better than a lot of point n shoot cameras were just a few years ago. X would seem to push this a bit further, great. Facial recognition, hmm, I'm not sure either, wonder if I will need to have it scan my morning as well as regular daytime face? And as for modifiable emoticons based on expression so you can make a smiley turd, again hmm! It will be a hit with the kids though and I think Apple is clever enough to recognise this and drawing them in has to be one key to future growth.

In other news, VW, who really do need something radical to climb out from under the shitpile of the emission testing scandal, has anounced it will build EV versions of all 300 models across its 12 brand range. That's a lot of batteries! Electric Porsches, hmm, well given that a Tesla model S P100D does 0-100kmh in what, under 3 seconds, no one can say the future is boring.

Even my 83 year old mother is a convert. I gifted her my Phone 5 and it has her hooked, brilliant I say.

Now I just need to live another 100 years to enjoy all the cool stuff.