What Jobs Is There A Demand For?

Steve

I've read posts and stories about certain occupations like teaching, IT work, etc. and the pros and cons.

Specifically what types of jobs are in demand in BKK (or any other region for that matter) for falangs? A specific area of IT? And what do these jobs pay. Basically a job that there is enough of a demand to bring...say 100k baht a month. That's a nice round number. Feel free to mention jobs that pay slightly less and more.

finding jobs in the range of 100 k a month locally hired will be very difficult. you gotta be very good at what you are doing to get that kind of money.

better look at what your qualifications are and if you can get an expat contract in your field of expertise.

or go way down with your financial expectations.

don't forget, there are many people who are highly qualified and can't get a job here in thailand, foreigners and thais.

and getting 100 k as a teacher is nearly impossible unless you are a fully qualified professional teacher with an expat contract hired from the west.

Hi,

Agree with flyonzewall, the 100K range jobs are very difficult to come by. Expect salaries in the range of 25-60K depending on the type of job and your qualifications.

English teachers will probably start of with something like 25K-40K a month, IT guys likely a bit higher say 40K-50K.

If you intend to do IT you need good skills though. There are plenty of Thai guys (and girls) in webdesign and networking who work for 15K-20K.

Sanuk!

PS If you can do Macromedia Director PM me.

Personally I do not think that there is a 'demand' at all.

in stating 100k you automatically price yourself out of the local market.

100k is for very senior positions in my view and are few and far between.

The best way to earn that sort of money is to be sent out here as an expat by some farangland based company.

In today's economic situation many companies are trying to reduce the number of expats on the books and not just in thailand. They cost too much and do not always add value.

Just work out the costs for yourself that may be associated with such a hire and then compare them to the salary that a local hire would expect to receive.

I have seen plant manager jobs, cfo's of smaller companies, head of sales and marketing etc go for about 100k,. but i have also seen fairly responsible and intersting jobs advertised for less than 20k. Just look at the employment section of the Bangkok Post and The Nation

I have heard of unqualified english teachers refusing full-time jobs at about 30k eventhough there is the potential for additional income through overtime and private lessons

30k would be considered a good income for most thais.

Thailand is certainly not the place to come to in order to earn large wads of cash legally. In many instances it could be a one way ticket

And to add, it is sometimes not easy to go back to farang-land after living in Thailand for 1 or 2 years (imagine, how to explain your stay to the female hr-department officer, lack of a network in the home-country etc)

Thanks for your responses. I wasn't looking for a job that met my qualifications. I was just wondering about ANY jobs that falang do that pay about that amount. Whether it be a doctor, engineer, etc. For curiosity sake.

Being sent by a multi-national company will certainly pay well. I am well aware that teaching does not get close to that amount and tech jobs are difficult with locals demanding less than falangs generally and the tech bubble having burst.

Browse the employment section on-line at the Nation and or Bangkok Post website.

Very few jobs outside of english teaching specify that a farang can apply. Most will state that the jobs advertised are for Thais only. Many that do not state that practice the policy in reality.

That does not mean that you can not find a job if you have particular skills at the right time but i repaeat my earlier post i do not think that there is a demand at all.

The best way to earn that number and be welcomed with open arms set up your own comapany

Only way a teacher is going to get near the 100 K range is at an international school -- and they usually hire overseas. Some good contracts that way though, including air fare and perks. But it is lower level teaching (mainly secondary) and not a lot of fun. Also, expect them to work your butt off for it.

Government university salaries have not gone up in TEN FRIGGING YEARS! This is starting to be felt now, since inflation has been quite a bit during that period. The unis are finding it harder to find qualified instructors, which means they may have to start lowering their standards for employment. (The salary is out of their hands; it belongs to the Ministry of Universities.) The base pays is only 25,500 a month -- though there are some perks. If you are willing to work evenings or weekends, you can easily run it up to 40 K a month. But to get it up even to 60 K means constantly working and being too tired to enjoy yourself. Thus you defeat the purpose of being here. Some private unis may pay 35 k per month. But the students will not be as good and the opportunities for extra income probably less.

The Thai government will have to address the foreign university instructors salaries one of these days, or they will find they simply cannot get anybody qualified at all -- or if they do find somebody, it will be someone who simply wants to stay here a year or two and move on. The days of lecturers staying at a uni for 10, 15 or 20 years will be a thing of the past. The PM says he is pro-education. But so far he has not done one damn thing to show it!

Engineers in the petrochem and power station business can get between $300 and $500 PER DAY on the construction side.

Jobs are hard to come by but they're there. Problem these days is that there's so many Farangs around chasing the jobs and some that will work for as little as 100K baht per month.

Flashermac,

You are right on with your comments. Faced with moving on to another country or retiring in Thailand, I briefly entertained teaching in a university. I had heard the salaries were low, but a few calls confirmed it.

For example, I was offered 50,000 baht/month to teach in Webster University's MBA program in Cha-Am. They were also throwing in housing and, the location is nice. But, the money was just too low IMO - or at least, very low compared to what I made when I was working full-time.

Instead, I was fortunate enough to land a part-time job with my employer for at least two years. This enabled me to stay in Thailand, and I am very thankful for that.

BTW, it is my impression that from reading the classified sections of The Post and The Nation, that there are many positions available in the universities for teachers.

Archived