The Nation Website

Coss

https://www.nationthailand.com

It could be just me, but if you go to this site on a computer* - 

- the site now looks like the marketing boss has said to the programmers "just take the mobile site and make it larger, to fit on any sized monitor"

*def: computer [ kuhm-pyoo-ter ] noun

a programmable electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations.

In here because the Nation is a news site.

Because much like everything else, Moderners (note new descriptor, for anyone born on the same date or after Kong)  access on Jesus phones, what they are seeing is a shrunk down portal, of a much bigger, larger, real thing.

Analogous to giving Moderners (or other mobile users), when they ask for a copy of Shakespeare's "Macbeth" a small slip of paper, on which the words "Macbeth - there's tragedy - end" are written.

First time I have heard Baby Boomer (My Generational Group) and Modern (from your Moderners)used in the same sentence.

If I want to access the internet, I usually just grab my iPad and do so, far more convenient than powering up the laptop. As for shrunk down versions, only of using an app, if accessing via a browser and HTTP exactly the same as on a Laptop or PC.

I do use Laptop for work related activities, and browse from such when it is operating, but during non working time the laptop stats off and iPad is just as good for browsing.

I guess it's just I'm old - like you I'm a Boomer -  My use of Tech for Internet, is phone and tablet, for consumer use, like news sites, weather etc, so mainly - reading.

If I must interact with a site, I generally step up to the laptop, for mobile use (i.e. flights and travelling).

Tablet and Phone sites, tend to hide, many of the important gotchas, off page.

Utilising computers for Business and Employment and over the years, web work, Photography (Lightroom, Photoshop), Music (Reason, Logic), and about 200 other programmes, now called apps, there's no substitute for a couple of big arse monitors on a desk, powered by a "cheese grater" Mac.

One that in recent times, would have run a whole prepress unit in a newspaper or magazine house. And can also do DCS World to a satisfying degree.

I did have three big arse monitors, but all the neck movement, snapping around when flying (simulated) hurt, so I rationalised to one 30" and a subsidiary.

In Auto terms, most of the millennials etc,  use a car, like an electric Nissan Leaf.

Whereas my preferred computer stable, in Auto terms, is more like, 1 Nissan Leaf, 2 Toyota Supra, a big Range Rover and an excellent Ineos Grenadier.

I count amongst my memories, my first restaurant, 1985, when I got a 512K Mac, put all my wages and books and taxes into an early spreadsheet proggie called Jazz.

I was possibly one of the first small businesses to do so and when I got audited the next year, the Tax wollies sat in the corner of the restaurant for a couple of days, going line by line, through two boxes of Dot Matrix printouts and at the end found a $20 discrepancy. Which of course, I'd left there as a fish hook, to see if they'd find it :)

Kong, when I used the term Moderners to describe you, I was implying that you were born post 60's, I now know this to be an error, but in that earlier post it was intended as a compliment, on account of you look so young.

7fdf8631da78076a11c269b0a9ba626a.jpg

Young, I wish, I have had my last birthday of my 50’s, my next one will be the Six-o if I make it.

Desktop, not had one since 2010, and even then I doubt if I needed one. Same goes for cars, if I had one in Bangkok I would be spending half my life looking for somewhere to park and taxis are so abundant. If I need to drive somewhere out of province then just hire a rental.

• 1 month later...

The move to “Apps” is continuing, next month Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) online service SCB Easy Net is being discontinued and only the app will be used for online banking.

SCB must assume that every customer either has a Smart Phone or a Tablet