Thai army chief says “coup” should be removed from vocabularies of media and army

Coss

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Narongpan Jitkaewtae has requested that the media to stop asking him about the possibility of another coup after the May 14th general election and to stop reporting speculation about a coup, noting that the word “coup” tends to cause political conflict and should be removed from media’s vocabularies.

Asked about the Move Forward party’s campaign manifesto, which advocates the scrapping of mandatory military conscription, General Narongpan said that political parties have the right to present policies and, likewise, the military has the right to defend the need for conscription...

"does not know whether there will be unrest or peace in the next five months"

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-army-chief-says-coup-should-be-removed-from-vocabularies-of-media-and-army/

KS, some of us have been here too long. I almost got caught out of curfew when Big Su (Suchinda) decided to bring the tanks out; fortunately the roads were empty and I got back home with minutes to spare. Note that comms were absolutely useless back in the day, but I was fortunate to be able to get permission for a 12' satellite dish (courtesy of my wife's position) so was able to watch the whole shebang unfold off the Indonesian satellite.