Israel-Gaza

bust

The Buddhist monk protesting in South Vietnam was pretty memorable. Most likely because a press photographer captured it. If my memory serves me correct is was an award winning photograph.

• Like 1

Thích Quảng Đức Incident was 1963 over 60 years ago, do you remember the other 5 monks who also did similar protesting about the same issue within 4 months?

What about the other 48 in the 60’s including some in the USA against the war in Vietnam, majority of instances male the headlines one day and are forgotten before used as Chip paper.

25 in the 70’s, 15 in the 80’s, 21 in the 90’s, 22 in the 2000’s and 114 in 2010’s

That is well over 200 since Thích Quảng Đức and most people would struggle to name one.

51 minutes ago, bust said:

Also I'm known to listen to a bit of Zack de la Rocha's work  :bang:

The cover to the first (and best IMHO) RATM album

You may be a man for Zak but for, me as a guitarist myself, Tom Morello is my standout man in RATM.

He was also pretty decent in Audioslave amongst his other ventures.

He was seen participating in a pro-Palestine march instead of attending the band’s Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony. Interestingly he has Jewish heritage.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2023 at 11:36 PM, Mekong said:

The United States and Truman were guilty of war crimes by establishing Israel in 1948 when the British left Palestine against the UN Resolution 181

The US trying to police the world always leads to fuck ups

The unofficial narrative, one rejected by some, goes that the USA and UK did not want a bunch of Jews flooding into their countries so they pushed for the Jewish homeland and thus created this monster situation…  I can tell you, a lot of Jewish people make this an issue bigger than religion itself “I say it is this way as god intended, end of story…” and on the Muslim/Arab side you have pretty much the same thinking. No room for compromise on either side.  Palestinians were not really recognized by many Arab states until Israel came along. Palestinians have more rights in Israel than in most maybe all other Arab states. There were Palestinian Christian’s, and Muslims and prior to the  “creation” of Israel, there were Jewish people living in Palestine and considered themselves “Palestinian Jews.”  All these other outside groups, Hezbulla, Hamas etc just use Israel/Palestine as an excuse for violence to advance there agenda, Pelestinian people are not really welcome in too many places…

All this reminds me of a joke I heard years ago, It has been changed a bit, but here goes… God gets tired of all the violence in the Middle East, so he calls the head of the Jews and the head of the Muslims before him…he also decides to appoint one person to represent the rest of the world. He say “…what will it take to stop the fighting and have an ever lasting peace..?” The head Muslim says, “…get rid of all the Jews and we will be happy and better off!” The head Jew says to god “…get rid of all the Muslims/Arabs and we will be happy!”  God looks at the Appointed representative for everyone else and says “…what do you thin,,?” The Appojnted rep says “I think you should give these 2 what they want and then the rest of the world can be happy…”

It was originally a joke regarding Northern Ireland, but it still works. Heard it from a Catholic priest, he told it in church during a sermon…I had to leave the church I was laughing so hard…

• Thanks 1