Will this mean Cheaper Beer?

Coss

Cabinet approves lower excise taxes for liquor, nightclub services

By Pattaya Mail

January 4, 2024

Lawan Sangsanit, Permanent Secretary of Finance, said these proposals give priority to community-based tourism, improve the quality of local produce, and position tourism-related services as key drivers for the national economy.

The Cabinet has approved a set of proposals to reduce excise taxes for liquor and entertainment venues, in an effort to boost national revenue through tourism.

The proposals, which aim to position Thailand as a tourism hub and encourage spending by tourists, will cut the excise tax imposed on wine from 10% to 5%, and the alcohol duty down from 1,500 baht per liter to 1,000 baht per liter. As for locally-made liquor, the excise tax will be waived but the alcohol duty for liquor with 7% alcohol volume will remain unchanged.

Lawan Sangsanit, Permanent Secretary of Finance, said these proposals give priority to community-based tourism, improve the quality of local produce, and position tourism-related services as key drivers for the national economy.

He said these new measures are expected to increase tourist spending on alcoholic drinks by 3%, and raise tourist-generated revenue by 2.9 billion baht, with an average spending per person increased to 43,400 baht.

The Thai government has also introduced a temporary excise tax reduction from 10% down to 5% for entertainment venues which include nightclubs, pubs, and bars. This lowered rate will remain applicable until 31 December 2024. (NNT) LINK 

5 hours ago, Coss said:

will cut the excise tax imposed on wine from 10% to 5%, and the alcohol duty down from 1,500 baht per liter to 1,000 baht per liter.

Surely 

• Not all Bottles of wine are the same price so duty is not a fixed amount
  • it duty is 1500 Baht @ 10% then it is only 750 Baht @ 5% not 1000 Baht, that is 6.667%
  • Only Local tourist drink Local made Liquor, it won’t affect Johnny Walker etc what foreigners usually drink
  • The Nightclubs and Bars will just pocket the 5% reduction not actually reduce prices

Another piece of top class journalism from Pattaya, what is in the water there.

All the locals I know like Mekong said drink hard liquor, either local brands or imported

I laugh at the wineries I used to pass on the way North, high import duty to protect this vibrant important local industry

cough cough cough

Beer was a special item, but then I only drink with villagers or some High Tech industry types, maybe theres a difference,