Obsolescence

Mekong

There I was just the other day and I received the software update alert on my iPad. I tried to run the update and was told my device was too old to update.

Imagine my surprise when I checked my model number and realised I purchased that iPad over ten years ago. It’s something I never thought of, give it heavy use for Internet  Browsing,  emails, YouTube viewing, Netflix on the go (or when Mr’s watching Thai TV) Mobile gaming and so on. When at work I also use it as remote document viewer for Docs I have on the Cloud (Dropbox for me).

Whilst I have basically been bed bound for the past 4 years or so I have basically been using it every waking hour, a conservative estimate would be around 4.5 Million hours of usage over its lifetime, probably more so and it never once let me down.  OK recently I have had to give it a Restart every 3-4 days but apart from that it has been fine. 
So  an update was required, no way I was going to get the latest “Bells and Whistles” version sod that, if the old one was good for 10 years then an model released 18 months ago will do the job for half the price.

So a 256 GB iPad  10 was selected 25,000 THB not bad I thought. When I went to pay for it more of a surprise, hen I was working in Viet. Nam I paid the hotel bill on my credit card and claimed the money back on expenses, well over the years that adds up to CC use and SCB have a rewards scheme which offers discounts based on card usage, don’t ask me the ins and outs, it’s Thai thing the Mr’s deals with all that, the bottom line was I got 13,000 THB cash back so the replacement iPad only cost me 12,000 THB  so happy days

First time I have ever had. a device reach obsolete whilst I have owned it, usually use or break then before they reach that stage.

I'm currently resurrecting a 15 yr old Mac Pro with OpenCore Legacy Patcher - 8 processors, 16 virtual cores and oodles of terabytes of  storage.

It's my version of restoring an E-type Jag

Massive Power and performance even when compared to the latest models.

21 hours ago, Mekong said:

Whilst I have basically been bed bound for the past 4 years or so I have basically been using it every waking hour, a conservative estimate would be around 4.5 Million hours of usage over its lifetime, probably more so and it never once let me down.  OK recently I have had to give it a Restart every 3-4 days but apart from that it has been fine.

You must be one old dude now, Mekong! 4.5 million hours is 513 years :)

My old 2014 Macbook Pro, which I keep as a backup machine in case my main machines dies, can't be updated any more....or rather the updates are simply security fixes. Haven't been able to update the main OS for a few years.

My iPad must be 4 or 5 years old. Can still update it ok. Will wait for the standard iPad to get an OLED screen and will upgrade then. I use my iPad way more than I use my iPhone (5 years and counting) so will upgrade iPad before iPhone.

14 minutes ago, Stickman said:

You must be one old dude now, Mekong! 4.5 million hours is 513 years :)

Mental arithmetic error I meant 43,800 hours, somehow moved the decimal point two places to the right in my head , I am not THAT old just yet.

20 minutes ago, Stickman said:

My old 2014 Macbook Pro, which I keep as a backup machine in case my main machines dies, can't be updated any more....or rather the updates are simply security fixes. Haven't been able to update the main OS for a few years.

My iPad must be 4 or 5 years old. Can still update it ok. Will wait for the standard iPad to get an OLED screen and will upgrade then. I use my iPad way more than I use my iPhone (5 years and counting) so will upgrade iPad before iPhone.

As I said my old 4th Generation 2013 iPad only stopped updating once iOS hit version 17, you have another 5 years life in yours yet. I am not even sure if it slowed down that much despite its age, yes the 10th Generation is faster as it should be with A16 chip  compared to the A6X but I don’t use an iPad for processor intensive activities so can’t say I notice much except a couple of games open slightly quicker.

We seem to have the same opinion of the iPad V iPad Pro, as I stated in OP I couldn’t see the point in spending 40% more just for OLED display, and M2 processor, plus the Pro weights 480g compared to 280g. At nearly half a kilo a tablet stops being a tablet IMHO 

I must admit I was impressed with the Apple Auto set up, seamless transfer of all data no problem at all, I was surprise my old iPad supported such but any device with iOS 12.4 or above is supported.

Fucking EU forcing Apple to use USB C port, My iPhone 13, AirPods , old iPad, the wife’s iPhone and iPad all use Lightning connector and I have USB A to lightning leads so now I have to buy another fucking lead USB A to USB C or an adapter, I prefer leads. iTunes can connect to a device via WiFi as long has the device has already been connected to the host computer so I need a lead to use it without a lead, which genius came up with that idea. I should send the EU an invoice