Questions from a football newbie

Brink15

OK,

I've watched several of the World Cup games and my interest has been piqued.

If I'm going to turn myself into a fan I've got to learn much more about the game. I've already been to FIFA's website, but it didn't answer all my questions.

How much of an impact will Ballack's absence have for the German's in the final?

I know ESPN carries the American games on cable here in the US. Does anyone know if I can catch any of the European league games here? Any teams you would recommend a newbie watch to get a good taste of European football?

I know these questions will probably draw yawns, but I really am interested in getting a better grasp of the game.

Thanks.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to assume you're a fellow American like myself because we're the only ones that don't watch soccer.

As a somewhat newbie myself, I'll let you in on a few things. Depending on where you live in the states you may be able to see other leagues.

Foxsports Espanol carries English, Mexico, Brazil and highlights of other league games. Personally, you'll have to put up with hearing it in spanish. Personally I like the English premier league. You won't go wrong cheering for Arsenal, my favorite, but you may be seen as a glory hunter since they have won the league championship. Spanish language stations are a good source. If you have cable or satelite, you may want to check with your local provider.

I would do what I did, watch as many games as you can in different leagues. A team will catch your attention. You'll know its your team when you start caring for them as much as you care for some of your favorite American teams.

As far as the rules, etc. you'll come to understand them and you've also got this board. I've asked numerous questions. You may have to put up with a little ridicule but its water off a ducks ass to me. And its all in fun.

Steve,

Thanks much.

I don't mind the ridicule. I'm not interested in watching football to impress anyone else. I just enjoyed the games I've seen so far.

I'm going to try some internet searches on the English Premiere league and see if it is available on my cable network.

I'm far from being ready to cheer for a particular team as I still don't know many of the players or team histories.

You've given me some places to start.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm going to go with Brazil in the finals. Gotta cheer for the Western Hemisphere team. wink.gif

Another thing you'll find is every league has one or two teams that is like the Lakers or Yankees, meaning they have a huge following. They have been for the most part consistent winners. For whole countries its Brazil (not to diminish your liking them, its legitimate).

English league: Manchester United (but my Arsenal is usually the top London club)

Bundesliga (German league): Bayern Munich

Spanish league: Real Madrid (but a case can be made for Barcelona).

French league: Paris St. Germain

Serie A (Italy): InterMilan (or Milan AC)

Mexican league: Cruz Azul (my fave is America, yes there is a club called America!).

For English matches, check to see if there is a British pub in your area. Most large cities have a Brit style pub, where Brit expats congregate. If the games aren't shown there, they'll know where it is.

I think once you get into it you'll find you can't stop watching.

Chok Dee.

"How much of an impact will Ballack's absence have for the German's in the final? "

We'll know tomorrow, huh? No, that's cheating...

He's important, no doubt of that. And usually if you take a big gun out, overall performance declines.

But there are cases in sport where a significant absence inspires everyone else to play harder or the substitute has thegame of his life.

Also, there's a weird phenomenon which I think happened tonight as the Turks were missing Hasan Sas. Sometimes a team will have too much talent and can't combine it all properly. In these cases, taking one man out of the equation can actually produce better results. It's an ugly concept and hard to put into words, but I think there's something to it.

Germany 2 - Brazil 1 [FT]

Gotta agree with DoxyBlue, psychologically, it can hurt a team. Good players, can sometimes have their teams think they are invincible or at least capable of beating anyone if they're in the game. The Bulls were still capable of winning when Jordan left and did although not as many games but they didn't have that confidence if the game got close.

Also, good players make the players around them better. Its those intangibles, everyone picks up their game to their 'A' game.

Plus as a midfielder its like a QB out there, a lot of the direction of a teams attack is based out of that position. I think they'll be okay. They seem to have played well when Klose wasn't there and he is a significant part of their team also.

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion about the Brittish pubs. we have several in my area.

Also thanks for the list of teams. I'm going to try to catch some of their games. I haven't had time yet to search the net for sites on the English Premiere League.

Since I don't know enough about the teams, I was basing my choice of Brazil in the final on the fact that I just don't want to see Germany win. On the other hand, it would be nice to say that the team that eliminated the US won the whole thing.

DB,

Do the Brazilians have a player that compares with Ballack? Sort of a goal making machine.

It seemed to me, with my little knowledge, that Ballack and Kahn were by far the strongest players for Germany. If I understand it right, Kahn is one of the best goal keepers in football.

I was very impressed with Ballack's leaping ability and Kahn's reach when the ball seemed to be heading for the corner of the goal.

BB,

OK here goes,

What is the difference between a tackle and a trip?

I'm assuming from the context of watching a few games, that a tackle is a sort of blocking maneuver.

I see some similarities between football and basketball. It appears as though part of the strategy is block the opponent?s access to the ball much like setting a pick in basketball. Also the passing is similar. Am I at all right?

Archived