Questions from a football newbie

Brink15

I'd put money that Kahn is the best in the world.

A lot of the other good German players didn't even make the team because of injuries. No sub is going to be as good as Ballack on paper, but now it only takes one game with the replacement playing unexpectedly well.

Brazil doesn't really have anyone in the same mold. In fact, I'd venture that Brazil doesn't really have a mid-field at all. It always seems like they are five defenders and five strikers.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus as a midfielder its like a QB out there, a lot of the direction of a teams attack is based out of that position. I think they'll be okay. They seem to have played well when Klose wasn't there and he is a significant part of their team also.

Steve

Klose has played in every game so far. It's just that if the ball is not placed on his head it seems like he is not there!

Sums up Germany's big problem, a terrible lack of talented strikers. Bierhof hardly gets off the bench and Jancker seems permanently confined there now. Unfortunately Ballack was one of the few players capable of really attacking from midfield. Hamann is being talked about as his replacement, and he has scored some goals in the past (notably against England!) but his strength is defending in front of the back 4. I thought Germany defended well against S Korea, certainly better than they did against Claudio's boys. Unfortunately for them, Brazil's defence has been as strong as their attack this time and they also have an excellent goalkeeper.

Likening midfield to QB is a bit of a stretch as at any time there will be 4 or 5 of them on the pitch for each team and they may all have very different roles. I would agree, though, that Ballack was as important to this team as the QB.

3-0 to Brazil.

LG

BB, DB, Steve, et all,

Here are some websites I found with info on the English leagues. Now for the hard part....sifting through all the info.

http://www.ukfootballguide.co.uk/netguide/PPF/UK_Football_Guide/Sports_Tickets/GCID/1462/Guide.asp

http://www.footballnews.co.uk/index/home.page?nonleague

http://worldcup.espnsoccernet.com/index?lang=en

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/english/football/default.stm

Brink,

As a Beantowner, you are forbidden from supporting Manchester United for 3 reasons: (1) they are the English Premiership equivalent to the New York Yankess in that their coffers are absurdly full (richest sports team in the world - any sport) (2) they have some sort of business relationship w/ the Bronx Bombers, though I am not sure what it is (merchandising rights?) (3) there is an arrogance in their camp, which I suppose comes from so many titles, and which may also remind you of NY.

Now, who to choose? Well, watch some matches, and see whose style you like. Arsenal are an obvious choice these days b/c of their attacking style (and last year's double), but who knows, you may end up drawn to West Ham or some other club. Either way, enjoy.

froggo

Thanks Froggo,

I need the insight of a fellow Baystater.

Man U. down, who to choose? I'll see what I can find on ESPN.

Any suggestions on the best cable channels to catch European games? I'll need to know the teams much better before watching the Spanish language networks.

LongGun, although there are more than 1 midfielders, on the pitch at the same time would you agree that the best of them on a team seem to be the catalyst for the whole team (Zidane for Real Madrid, Pires for Arsenal for example). The best midfielders are the playmakers, no?

Being a beantowner, Brink, you may dislike Man Utd for the reasons Frogpatrol noted, also like the Celtics of the 80s who played the Lakers, I would say an anology would be that Man Utd are like the Lakers in that they are the 'hollywood' of the league (they are kidded as being prawn eaters, from a statement made about them--long story), Celtics had that hard, blue collar worker, reputation so, you may gravitate to teams that have that rep. Interestingly enough, and Brits on this board can verfiy this if I'm right...or wrong, but Manchester was/is known as an industrial town. Another blue collar type of town is Newcastle (coal mining centre for England). But its up to you. That's part of the fun of it. Choosing your team.

Being a Sixers fan, I always seem to gravitate toward teams that have that 'bridesmaid' never the bride reputation for sports I follow. Not on purpose, it just works out that way. Arsenal had that rep for a while and even though they have won last year, the taint of it is still with them.

Brink,

There are 20 teams in the English premier league and another 72 professional teams in The Nationwide league (immediately below the Premiership).

Some premier teams you may want to opt for:

Newcastle or Sunderland are both from the North East of England (which is known as the poorest area) but their fans are believed to be the most passionate.

Chelsea are from the richest area of England but buy many foreign players.

Arsenal have a few top French players but are becoming one of the most attractive sides to watch.They won both the league and the cup in England last season.

Manchester United are by far the biggest supported and also the most hated club in England. (David Beckham plays for them). They are also the most succesful team in Great Britain and have the most money to spend on players. Their neighbours Manchester City have just got promoted to the Premiership from the Nationwide League and will play each other next season. (Each side plays each other twice in a season).

Tottenham Hotspur (or Spurs) are Arsenals nearest rivals and are arch enemies. They have a large Jewish following.

There are many more but hope this gives you some food for thought as you decide which team to support. Anyway, you have about 6 weeks to decide before the football season starts.

He guys, ! Chill out ! hahaha this is a thread to ask questions on foorball, not to decide which team is better hahahaha

Ok, Brink, here goes :

<<What is the difference between a tackle and a trip?

<<I'm assuming from the context of watching a few games, that a tackle is a sort of blocking maneuver.

- need to know what you mean with a trip ? a tackle is a movement from one player towards another from the opponent team to take the ball from him..... when this is done without touching / hurting the opponent and with only touching the ball then it is done succesfully. Any other way and you have a foul and a kick. Also when done in a dirty way or done only to hurt the opponent without direction of the ball, or way too late, or foot forward or even from the back of the opponent, then it also deserves a card. the most spectacular tackles are sliding tackles.

<<I see some similarities between football and basketball. It appears as though part of the strategy is block the opponent?s <<access to the ball much like setting a pick in basketball. Also the passing is similar. Am I at all right?

- nope, not really, football is football, and basketball......

Next question ?

Cheers !

Archived