Questions from a football newbie

Brink15

Brink15, I (and I hope my fellow Gooners support this) will waive gloryhunter status if you happen to choose Arsenal. Choosing a side is like choosing the right wife, in theory its for life and you won't ever be forgiven by your inlaws (that teams supporters) if you leave her or cheat on her (cheering on someone else).

To add to the above answer of a trip v. tackle, Generally, a tackle is what the referees who favour Man Utd call a trip by a Man. Utd defender and a trip is what that same referee call a tackle when its an Arsenal defender. (smile).

In all seriousness, its unfortunate you won't be able to see much of the smaller teams in the lower divisions. They get paid less, they may not be as good, but their supporters are just as if not more supportive of their teams. I'm a little partial to Crystal Palace for instance, but they won't be on cable TV unless they play a Premiership teams AND it gets on TV. Have fun watching, take your time and you'll develop a following for a certan side on your own despite where all of us try to steer you to.

Continue asking newbie questions like I still do.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brink,

Dont choose the Arse's mate they are known as the boring Arse's and I need some help on this board to keep these Arse's from taking over the sports section,

My team is Liverpool and any other team that happens to be playing against the Arse's.

I can understand you searching for a new sport after witnessing the silly rules of your American football enabling a beaten Novia Albion Patsies to win the conference championship earlier this year from my pride and poise boys.

Guest lazyphil

<<I can understand you searching for a new sport after witnessing the silly rules of your American football>>

I wouldn't say silly. More like confusing!

BB,

Thanks,

That answers my question about tackles.

In terms of the basketball analogy, I was thinking about the way plays are set up. Positioning someone close to the goal and then passing at the last possible moment to try to catch the opponent off guard.

This is also part of the strategy in hockey as well.

American football, on the other hand, is planned out prior to the ball going into play. As the ball is snapped the play either works or doesn't work. The action is over almost instantly.

With football (soccer) the plays develop over a much greater period of time. One of the things that drew my interest the most in watching the world cup was this play development. Watching Brazil get the ball back across midfield by maneuvering the Germans to one side of the field and then passing the ball to the opposite side was very elegant. If that makes sense?

I really enjoyed watching the set up as much as the finish. Unless of course the finish was a goal. smile.gif

Who said anything about dropping American football?

I'm chomping at the bit for the start of the season.

But, it's a different sport. I'm interested football (soccer) to expand my interests, not to replace one.

And by the way, what is this Novia Albion garbage? The only real American football is played IN America. smile.gif

Well,

I'm starting to sift through the info on the web. ESPN's soccernet has a huge amount of info on English football in general. Looks like a great place to start.

I know US MLS is still going strong. What is the season for the English Premiere League? I'm finding info on players, teams, trades, but nothing specifically saying it starts here and ends here.

Also if someone could breakdown the season for me that would be great. By that I'm mean is there a time when most of the trades are done like the draft in the NFL? How are the playoffs structured? What is the championship?

The websites seem to assume a basic knowledge of the League. Which in my case is a gross misassumption. smile.gif

brink15

english football season is normally august-may(as most european countries).

trades(transfers can be made any time up until aound 2-4 weeks before the end of the season).

championship in the premiership is whoever gets the most points after 38 games,no play offs.

in the lower divisions(3),top 2 go up to the next division and the next 4 play off for the 3rd place.

many european teams play in various knock out competitions(in england,f.a.cup,oldest cup competition in the world and a rather inferior competion which the lower teams,like arsenal and liverpool take seriously).

also top teams in europe play in the champions league which is a competition for the best(!) teams in europe and eventually a knock-out competition.

not like the old days.

suggestions for a team to support .

west bromich albion

birmingham

man city.

don't forget scottish football,my team is cowdenbeath.

amateurs,all of them,work on constuctions sites/taxi drivers during the day.

but at night and weekends,give their all for the team.

known as the brazil of scotland,so after the WC,worth a bet.

Archived