alternatives to BG-ing

pattaya127

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its's ironic, I have a an exbg friend who worked in bars and now at 38 is studying traditional thai massage, with the idea of getting a job in a legit massage parlor.

She tells me that she is not overly confident of getting such a position because of her age. If they don't get out of the bar scene at a young age and before they show their permanent battle scars then they are largely unemployable. There is a similarity to western society where if want to start a new career later in life, no-one wants to give you a go.

what can they do if they don't want to sell their butt?

PS: majority of thai women: not sel ling their butt or com pany.

[color:purple] Well if it is that simplistic, I guess they can do many things.

They could work in a restaurant, be salesgirls, work in a supermarket, become secretaries, work as a seamstress, dig ditches, clean hotel rooms, become housewives, stay at home mothers, sell flowers, operate a food stall, weave baskets, bake cookies, massage therapy, operate a daycre for kids, farm, auto mechanic work, sell yaba, professional gamblers, loan sharking, etc, etc, etc. color=purple>

I am no particular defender of the "work" that we're talking about here. But I do think it's rediculous that others within a society that stacks the deck so high against social mobility will talk about how great it is to be a maid or work washing clothes, because they can send 3k per month home and have their own room.

My point was that GTG thinks she's being all beneficent -- but seen from an outsider's perspective all she's doing is reinforcing the system that keeps the poor young ladies we're talking about down.

Frankly, I think it's probably quite irritating to some middle-class Thais that more lowly types have access to the kind of empowerment that the bar scene can provide. They are, after all, the beneficiaries within a social system where their servants call them "brother."

TEDBKK?I posted this reply inadvertently in the ?Applause for gtg? thread?..my apologies?..

TEDBKK wrote: ?Great! I'm so glad people like you provide the "opportunity" for poor young ladies to be your maids. The way you describe how you ask her to call you pii instead of khun is OFFENSIVE, not illustrative?.

??.so far, however, nothing ranks with TEDBKK?s post for patronizing sarcasm, scorn and personal attack. here's a man who's actually offended (capitalized for some reason) by gtg?s simple statement: ?ask her to call us Pii instead of Khun??

i'm missing something here

in what way is she offensive,

would you please explain?

==

3d

pattaya127,

>It has always be my knowledge that "pi" is used very often between Gfs and acquaintances, and does not prejudge on the hierarchy between them, though maybe sometimes "pi.."is maybe older or more experienced "sister" (here in SF, all the thais girls I know use it all the time). can you confirm?

I gather that GTG asks her maid to call her such so the lady/girl is feeling at ease, and the relation takes a tone of informality. Am I wrong?

You're right, Pattaya. I try to make her feel at ease. That's all.

Some one asked me if I had more than one maid. From my previous post I used 'plural' to state my maids that I have had over the years. Now I have only one.

It's possible to advance your education while working as a maid. One of my ex-maids went to school on her day's off on Sundays to study KOR SOR NOR (¡.È.¹. = fast track education for primary and secondary levels). She must have finished high school by now. This one also supports a son. One went to a seamstress school close by. It was a small school run by one person, the owner of the house. It had a small class so it was very good education for her. My mom let her go to this school because she had nothing to do during the day for three afternoons a week. At that time we had two maids. The other one was not interested. Later the seamstress got married and uses her skills to provide for her family until now. Hard to believe? NOT There are more examples of these.

OK, one more. A friend of mine sent her maid to a bakery class for a few days. There are lots of these kind of class all over Bkk both public and private schools. And it doesn't cost much. Actually they can pay for themselves from a few houndred to several thousands.

Opportunities are out there. It is a matter whether they want to grap them or not. BGs have financial resources for the school and time (every afternoon if they try to wake up a little EARLY). They can do it if they want. Sadly, many of them set out to be a bg with a goal to better themselves then a lot of them just drift away by the scene.

One more job.

Beauty salon assistant Most are provided with accommodation and meals. If they are wise and not too lazy they can learn the craft and then safe up some money to start their own shop back home when they obtain a certain skills without going to expensive beauty schools.

GTG

bibblies,

>Come on now guys - if we get just a few more ideas on the board, GTG'll have to do her own cleaning! <

That's an insult frown.gif I do my own cleaning sometimes , you know.

Pattaya127,

>if she promises to cook for me, AND NOT SING THE ANTHEM, I will help her do the cleaning next winter. <

FYI, I don't cook. So you can imagine how my farang friends would view on my Thai cooking I prepared fro them.:D

GTG

Reminded me of another. My girlfriend wants to become a chef. She's a pretty good cook already (in Thai dishes), so it seems plausible. Yum.

By the way, unrepentant capitalist and libertarian that I am, I don't generally believe in the word "exploitation", but I've seen you use the word often in connection with farangs coming to Thailand to indulge in the bar scene. So, I'd be interested to hear how you reconcile that with your use of low-paid manual labour from women of low-educational backgrounds.

Damn, I'm making you work hard on the dictionary, aren't I? wink.gif

Archived