alternatives to BG-ing

pattaya127

P127: "You seem to insist on your views that having a maid is something GTG could be ashamed of. . . . No one has been castigated on this forum for doing so ... so, once again, why throw the book at GTG?"

Because GTG does castigate others for alleged exploitation of BGs; yet, she sees herself courageously magnanimous in heart by allowing her maid to call her "pii." And noble-minded for allowing her to take a class since she has no use for her on Sunday afternoons.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stand by my post written on the 17th, 22.42. To exploit a situation is different than to exploit people. That is how i read GTG take on it. I think we have now put out our different views. If , as you say, Bgs are allegedly exploited, to me it's not because of the money or the cheap prices, esp. as even making as little as 10 000b a month will give them a pretty good salary in a thai context. I disagree with GTG if she means exploitation as only getting it cheap. Hell, who knows the real market price?

Having tried to learn Thai, I'm all for giving a non-native speaker the benefit of the doubt, but I think you're being overkind in your interpretation of what she said.

I suspect she subscribes to the rather simpler view. Exploitaiton applies to use of services. She uses the services of a maid and we use the services of a bar girl. From the same thread, check it here:

Long URL

Another long URL

Dictionaries are generally accepted as the arbitrators of the meaning of words. My nearest dictionary to hand, the Oxford "Handy" Dictionary, defines "to exploit" as "to utilise a person/situation/etc for one's own ends". It doesn't mention relative income or anything else (and I doubt that the non-handy one does either!). So, GTG, I think that we're either both doing it or neither of us are - one to satisfy my lazy sexual gratification and one to satisfy your lazy cleaning one.

[Changed the text for the URLs to prevent the page from fucking up - KS]

Alas, this definition invites more argument. "one's own ends"?

In a selfish way, i guess, not just to do a job. If someone goes 000s miles away from home to get sexual satisfaction, is it just hiring to get a job done, or indulging in self-gratification, taking advantage of the situation of women in that country. Not laying blame on anyone or claiming innocence for myself, BTW.

gtg?s exploitation charge lacks foundation. exploitation requires a victim?? paying bargirls the local market price is a fair bargain ?though she may be a victim of circumstance, something different.

if farang is over-charged, going with the novel theory that the richer shouldn?t get things cheap, are Thais exploiters? Enterprising gas station owners and hoteliers etc can quote prices according to the origin of their customers, not local factors.... neat.

is this the same brand of exploitation Thai bosses use to hire Burmese workers for a 70 baht/day then the cops relieve them of their baht when they nab them for working illegally, or a new one?

gtg loses 5 five points for a poorly executed swerve

bibblies wrote: 'an otherwise intelligent, educated Thai does seem to subscribe to the primitive notion that farangs are responsible for the social and economic damage in Thailand. Asian crisis and all that... To have one's worst fears confirmed is somewhat depressing'.

...nobody?s perfect, but we can look a bit more perfect if we can get away handing off the blame?. appearances are important. 17 billion baht sold forward before the baht decoupled, ?bit of exploitation there?

gtg?s exploitation charge lacks foundation. exploitation requires a victim?? paying bargirls the local market price is a fair bargain ?though she may be a victim of circumstance, something different.

-----------------------------------

correct. that's where i stand. On long bus rides upcountry ( a bit on nana too, to be honest), i will start pondering heavily about the circumstances, but in Pattaya, I can't help thinking we are all sucked up in the tornado, the strong become weak and the weak....get paid,one way or anothertongue.gif . No one escapes unscathed, after 3 weeksfrown.gif .

".....nobody?s perfect, but we can look a bit more perfect if we can get away handing off the blame?. appearances are important. 17 billion baht sold forward before the baht decoupled, ?bit of exploitation there?"

Hey! Don't blame me! I even had a little money invested in a Thai investment trust at that time.frown.gif

I thought the consensus expert view was that Thais got themselves into their own mess by borrowing far too much money to put into a glut of loss-making property developments. Just walk around Bangkok - you can still see it.

...nobody?s perfect, but we can look a bit more perfect if we can get away handing off the blame?. appearances are important. 17 billion baht sold forward before the baht decoupled, ?bit of exploitation there?

[color:purple] I wouldn't call making a currency bet exploitation. That is called maket risk. In case you didn't know hedge funs and currency traders were getting their asses handed to them and racking up major losses for a couple of years shorting the baht. Floating the baht was a decision made by the Thai government not speculators. color=purple>

Jjsushi

You?re right on what you commented on....what I was referring to was the weeks and days immediately preceding the flotation and the large blocks of baht traded forward by insiders?.their risk was nil and their fellow countrymen were left with a bill. some of the other players got their asses handed to them because they acted too soon.

Bibblies, the consensus view is a part of the story but there?s more... ?decision made by the Thai government?...some knew before the fact and acted?like getting tomorrow?s newspaper.

regards

==

3d

Archived