alternatives to BG-ing

pattaya127

I too do not like the way that Thais use honorifics (khun, pee, nong etc) to firmly establish rank based on the class system that exists in Thailand. The problem is that this is a VERY strong part of Thai culture and to not use it "correctly" may also causes problems. The maid would probably be uncomfortable using any other word than PEE.

As much as I do not like the system, fighting it will not get one anywhere and as much as I do not like it, I believe that one is simply better off to adopt it.

You have to understand that if another Thai saw your maid addressing you as "khun", then you would lose face in that person's eyes...and if it was someone you work with or do business with, their confidence in you would be lost.

Stick

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Especially at the rate they study, ahahha. I go to Ubon or Maha Sarrakham, big college towns, and i see all these kids in discos up all night, ask my resident friends "who are they?", and they reply: "students". They look more like getting ready for the "marine 1" exam than anything else. LOL

Why has no-one mentioned web skills? There is no reason anyone cant learn to learn to push buttons and surf.

The jury may still be out on the question of whether its possible to make it pay. However I am doing it and there are a lot of other no hopers who also limp along on what they can get hustling on the net.

Why not?

Worldwalker,

I can't agree with one of your statements. Education is in fact the ticket to better jobs. It doesn't mean that all the people who are educated will find work in their desired field. The latter is a fuction of the local economy. Do you know of anyone in Thailand who was hired into a well-respected, well-paying job that didn't have an education? Their education was their ticket to obtaining whatever job they have. Granted that who you know and what family you are born into matters more in third world and developing countries than in industrialized ones, education is still a decisive criteria and screening tool even though sometimes used as an smoke screen/excuse to fill a position with a pre-selected person.

Cardinalblue

Orand,

I think there are thai and NGO organizations that their mission statements are to help bar girls in some fashion. I don't know the extent or their success rate.

It sounds like you are talking about an organization taking on an "adopt a BG" mentality. It is not a bad idea and i wouldn't be surprised if there isn't something similar in place. Big brothers/Big sisters org. come to mind back home. Maybe something you might wish to explore and then take it to the next step.......

Cardinalblue

I'm aware of that. Read what I wrote - I said that some other guys would wade in to give her a hard time about it..

But come to think of it, the difference might be that many guys here act as concerned benefactors and actually try to improve the prospects of the working girl. I doubt that many Thais try to do that with their servants.

It has always be my knowledge that "pi" is used very often between Gfs and acquaintances, and does not prejudge on the hierarchy between them, though maybe sometimes "pi.."is maybe older or more experienced "sister" (here in SF, all the thais girls I know use it all the time). can you confirm?

I gather that GTG asks her maid to call her such so the lady/girl is feeling at ease, and the relation takes a tone of informality. Am I wrong?

I'm with you here. I get the sense that it often refers to an older or more experienced sister. If you sometime hear other Thais call waitresses by it, it can't be that high up. Besides, if we get into an argument with a Thai about use of Thai language, we're bound to lose...

Askme's reminded me of another girl I know who has started up an Internet/gaming cafe with her Japanese boyfriend.

Come on now guys - if we get just a few more ideas on the board, GTG'll have to do her own cleaning!

[color:red] sorry, this is not the topic of the thread. It being what could they do, not why would they do it? color=red>

I would like to comment but I don't know exactly what the social, educational, professional and financial profile that "great majority of women in Thailand lead" . If you could please provide that info then it would be easier to attempt an answer.

In reply to:

What is your opinion of educational and professional choices a Bg could have that may result in lesser income but start her on the way to re-insert in the life that the great majority of women in Thailand lead.

[color:purple] I think if you read my initial paragraph (above in bold print) I aked you to define what the profile of the "majority of Thai women" is. The only way you can talk about the choices for BG's relative to the majority of Thai women is to state what the choices and profiles are of the majority of Thai women are. I am sure the majority of Thai women are not university grads with excellent English skills who make +40k baht a month in an office job. I could hazard a very uneducated guess that the majority of Thai women are poverty bound, make 1k baht a month,and have the equivalent of 5th grade educations. I honestly don't know. Maybe you have some statistics that would shed light on the matter. How else can you make an assesment for a BG's alternatives?

I am sorry but the topic and intro post of your thread is not very clear as some previous posters have pointed out. Maybe if you restated it in a more clear and concise manner you would have more participation on this thread. I think it is a good topic. color=purple>

Archived