alternatives to BG-ing

pattaya127

Can it be any clearer?

-----------------------------

exploiting the situation. Not the girls. What you are reading is that she feels put off by guys encouraging a big industry of prostitution. Which brings us to discussing prostitution as a fair and viable activity for girls or not, as we often do, but with all the factors and "shades of grey" coming into it, not just saying "tourists exploit girls", period. Here, as a contractor, i could not afford hiring union guys as helpers, but there are plenty of latino workers as day laborers. Or even US guys, though i am supposed to have a pay roll and declare them, etc.... They are very happy to find work, and i am very happy to exploit the situation of people available for hire on the quick, but do I exploit them? Actually, since they do not pay tax on their wages, i think they are doing ok.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But farangs who come here generally are FAR BETTER OFF than your service providers ie. bargirls. As I said, everything is so BLOODY CHEAP. That's my interpretation of the word 'exploitation' any ways.

-------------------------------------

so, every time i eat a soup for 20 bahts or a farang couple stays in a CM Guest house for 5$ or rent a bike for 100bahts/day, etc...., they are exploiting thais who service them? Since Bibblies put me up to it, can you tell us if FARANGS EXPLOIT THAI PEOPLE, because it's cheap? I am not sure what you mean so: Yes or no?

All this talk about exploitation! Who is going to weigh in with global corporations moving manufacturing from their home countries in order to take advantage or exploit low wages in developing countries? I just thought I would throw that out there since this thread seems to be headed in that direction. I have no intention of arguing that, just wanted to be first in posting it.

A lot of it is tied up, this and that exploitation. Fly has some good input about that. To stay on topic (yeah, sure!!!), many guys have been working abroad for that kind of global companies, and they find themselves in BKK. They turn out to be quite decent guys, who have a job and sanook on the side, or even have their lives changed being in contact with thai people (and vice versa too). Their Company may be as you cite, but is the guy exploiting thais? I can't help feeling strong about the big scheme of things while being indulgent towards people individually (except for thai politicians...)

Yep, I put this to her in the thread from which I took the quote (Sad Scene) and got no reply. I'll have to get the dictionary out, but I suspect that exploitation is still the same whether you're from the same country and consider yourself to be only slightly richer than the person you're exploiting or not.

In that thread, I remember being very disappointed by seeing a real live example of how an otherwise intelligent, educated Thai does seem to subscribe to the primitive notion that farangs are responsible for the social and economic damage in Thailand. Asian crisis and all that... To have one's worst fears confirmed is somewhat depressing.

I get it just fine. Not liking some BGs and having empathy for people involved are two very different things. It's you who doesn't get it.

Go look up "smug" in your dictionary.

>>>>But farangs who come here generally are FAR BETTER OFF than your service providers ie. bargirls.<<<<<

GTG, I get your point to some extend, but what about the Thai BG scene? Isn't exploitation of the poor Thais by the well-to-do Thais going much further than in the Farang scene?

It's really not the farangs that fuel the BG scene in Thailand!!!!

I think we are not going to resolve this "exploitation" thing. Just think as life is unfair and use that as a starting reference point and you will be more reality-based.

But i will say whether using maids or BGs (used by thai or falang) or buying cheap goods or playing a round of golf here, it is all exploitation based on your point of reference. It is any situation that one has the cash or leverage takes advantage of the situation that they feel they got a great deal (better than the market rate). It doesn't mean the other party involved didn't get compensated. Whether fairly or not can be argued until you are blue in the face.

Think it as in terms of sports. A great QB or coach will exploit the other team's weakness meaning that some part of the other's team has a recognized weakness so they took advantage of it. You will never hear the word "exploit" used when whoever believes there is a common playing field or appropriate market prices are in effect or two equals are dealing with each other.

Yes, if the rich person is paying the maid a common wage that everyone else pays in that community at the same wage rate then the term "exploit" will not be used. We have a tendency to use the word "exploit" to compare two economic situations (east and west) that are really apples and oranges. It seems people can get away with using the word for empahisis and to create a bad image, but i am not sure if it is technically correct.

Cardinalblue

Bibbles

I doubt that anyone has a great definition for it. It is a word that is liberally used whether economically or not. Taking seroius advantage of someone who otherwise might not know the culture, missing information, uneducated, senility, stupid, ethnic/race, can't fight back, captivity, etc,. There are many reasons why people or things are exploited but most people know when expoitation occurs. Kind of like cancer. Everyone knows what it is and looks like, but no one knows what scientifically causes a healthy cell to turn abnormal and how to prevent the transformation. And i am not talking about staying out of the sun to prevent skin cancer!

Every day we are trying to exploit each other in one way or another. Whether it is the patpong taxi driver exploiting me for a 100 baht or the falang taking advantage of bar girls for cheap sex and companionship. We have all been there. Some worse than others.

We all have been on both sides of the fence, some with more intensity and magnification and others less so. Cambodia and all those western built factories. No way. The laborers are getting twice the monthly income with air con. The flip side is called economies of scale. Any one want to come and see my factories................

Cardinalblue

Archived