Herpes

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up genital H in Cambodia about 13 months ago. Initial outbreak and recurring outbreaks as described in this thread. I initially used Zovirax creme on outbreaks. But still a week or more out of action every 4-6 weeks.

And - not mentioned here - the follow-on outbreaks were not always on my genitals - twice the blisters formed in the same spot high on my outside left buttock - almost at my hip. Strange disease.

I then started taking Valacyclovir tablets - one 500 mg tablet per day (Valtrex by Glaxo-Welcome). No more outbreaks. I then tried reducing the dosage to half a tablet per day (250 mg). I am 95 kg. I've had no outbreaks in past 6 months, using half a tablet per day. I've missed maybe two days in that time - no bad result.

10 tablets are 1200 baht over the counter here.

I am untrained formally, but I can read a phramacology description. Acylcovir is a medication that can only be activated by an enzyme that is released by H infected cells. So it is basically inert to other cells in the body.

I plan to keep taking half a tablet daily for the rest of my days.

If I understand the disease correctly, for as long as it is suppressed by medication, the virus for genital herpes persists only in nerve tissue at the base of your spine. It is from there that it "redeploys" to your genitals during an outbreak. I am unqualified to predict how easy it is to pass on when suppressed, but I suspect that the likelihood of transmission is low.

Getting "H" was the warning shot that caused me to "clean up my act".

Good luck.

Stone Soup

The Fighting Fish

Stone Soup,

Was this on a doctor's recommendation (the daily pills) ?

You may be taking unnecessary medication. It seems that some people have the same frequency of outbreaks as you describe. Many times in the first year(s) and then significantly reduced frequency afterwards.

The virus is there, but with precautions like reduced stress, sleep, vitamins (increase immune system), and the like some people can control the outbreaks. Not saying that this works for many or most people.

Some people also say that they can "feel" an upcoming outbreak a day or two prior to any physical appearance and this is when they apply the lotion.

The outbreaks can be anywhere on the body.

Stone Soup

My H cleared up within about a week and hoping that nothing comes back, but personally I doubt it.

When you said 'made me clean up my act' I had a wry smile, me as well.

And for anybody reading this who still has a 'messy act' tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock....the clock is counting down and some of you don't know how close you are. Learn from the mistakes of others - including me.

• 2 months later...

read teh post abpit herpes and its sounds on many as its just something that can be treated.

Herpes has no cure, you can stop it from beeing active a shorter time of period but it will come back. about once a year for a week or so. when its not active and you have no sore it will not be as easily transmitted but once you have it its one of the easiest diseases to transmit,

read somewhere that 4 out of 10 males in sweden has herpes and many of them not even know about it. for what sideeffects herpes has or what it does to you i can not say for sure. it can be treated so it dont itch or try to slow the process but it wont go away. today you have to major disease that wont go away and one is Herpes the other one well i dont have to mention it for you to kow what i mean

Primary infection symptoms normally appear in 24 to 72 hours. After which the virus migrates to your spinal column, where it remains in a semi-dormant state, until the next reoccurrence.

Archived