Oriental, The . Hotel and facilities

buffalo_bill

Upscale travellers,

more and more I am besaddened by the comments I occasionally have to read here about the pearl by the river, the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok. May I therefore take the liberty to adjust misleading rumours to the wonderful reality , one by one.

Prices : double room River Wing (the big building ) about 180 USD . Breakfast buffet 21 USD . Next category room in Garden Wing ( facing the river ) 280 USD. Suites at any price up to 2600 USD. These are room-prices , spending the day in the hotel by using various facilities better be prepared for around 350 USD average , based on std room. All prices plus taxes.

Quality of rooms : if you fancy large rooms , better go elsewhere. The River Wing has been built 25 years ago and rooms have been smaller at that time. All rooms except the Garden Wing have been renovated last year. On reservation I recommend to ask for rooms with poolview.(Towards Taksin Bridge ).

Guestfriendlyness: Unless you already check in with madame, a hopeless thing to consider. Or you are a frequent visitor. Numerous tragedies I have been able to observe when punters full of good hopes were stopped by the hotel security. I recommend to explain the manager on duty that you have a business meeting later at night with a lady from Siam Mercedes Incorporated but you heard about rumours that even serious meetings might be misinterpreted and what can you do to avoid this. The man will be absolutely delighted to listen to your story and accompany you to the reception desk to prepare the late arrival of Miss Mercedes. But please buy her some appropriate clothes before, otherwise your project still might fail. Point is that you can shit in the middle of the lobby, but in style.

Attitude of staff: Cannot remember any commercial place where people are more friendly than here. This is not only due to Thai tradition but also they are trained to smile til they bleed. The people are the big asset of this hotel. If you want to see some REAL stunners, try the Bamboo bar or the Verandah restaurant.

Access : Except by plane from anywhere, you can get there by using the Skytrain to Taksin-bridge , step down to the river and they have a boat waiting. 5 minutes and free of charge.

Spa : Is on the other side of the river and has been elected best Spa in the World last year. Might be true, might be wrong. A bit too expensive for me, massage starts ( 1 hour ) around 2000 bht depending on what you want. The place as such is immaculate, all in teakwood , soft music , more like a hotel room. Has to be booked in advance. No extras , not even an innocent blowjob.

Transportation : Fleet of hotel cars with drivers dressed like Commander Pacific Fleet , United States of America. Airport/hotel 1500 bht one way. Intraurban by the hour . One way to Hua Hin 7500 bht. If you are a real hardcore masochist , fair enough, not for me. Recommended for the way back to airport because they care about luggage and all.

Restaurants :

China House : is inside a separate colonial building opposite main entrance and offers certainly a first class Cantonese kitchen. Meals are brilliant , athmosphere a bit cool, not for a romantic date. Expensive.

Normandie : On rooftop Garden Wing. French cuisine and one of the finest. Said to be the best European restaurant in Asia.Wonderful view . Prices obscene , stiff and formal atmosphere. Ok if you want to impress somebody. Not for romantic date. Due to too many employees discreet farting not possible.

Lord Jim?s : Excellent seafood, have many offer prices for lunch. River view. Nice for a informal lunch/dinner. Not my favorite. Medium expensive.

Verandah : Casual coffee-shop like. Inside and outside. A lovely place to waste the whole day. Menue at acceptable prices. The hostesses, Lord in heaven. No idea where they find these beauties all the time. This place is officially recommended by Buffalo Bill to the international sanukers community.

Riverside barbecue: every night with live music. 1600 bht / person. The best buffet I know. Consistant high quality , just plainly excellent. For rainy season under large roof , thus weather-proof. Highly recommended.

Chiao : Italian restaurant . The favorite of the favorites. Riverside, not too expensive , plenty pizzas and since there is a Brit (!!!!!!!) in the kitchen, first class menue at affordable prices. Unfortunately closed between May and September. THE place for a romantic date. 10 out of 10 .

Sala Rim Naam : Can?t stand Thai food neither want to be troubled by dinner-shows . Just know it?s there.

Bamboo bar : live Jazz .Noisy. Prefer to sit outside and listen to the Geckos.

That was this, cheers

bb

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that is a wonderful reality, I won't bother. smile.gif

generally speaking, I have a real problem with places that (1) quote prices in US dollars and (2) charge $2.50 for a coke that I can buy 10 steps outside the place for 1/10th that.

I was curious about the renovation mentioned, but they apparently are not too proud of it as their web site has very tiny pictures at tight angles with low lighting so you can't really make out if the rooms are up to snuff or not.

Their breakfast buffet right by the river is key. One of the best in town!

Personally, I think Centrepoint which is between the Oriental and the sky train station (a easy walk to the station in fact) is a more luxurious stay and you can stay there a month for the price that would only get mere days at the Oriental. You also get free in room broadband, a kitchen, better stereo, in room laundry machine, and an extra bedroom or two as desired. I think their rooms have a better river view being a taller building and having great angles to the river. I was a bit puzzled staying at the Oriental to see all the furniture was oriented such that no resting place awarded a gaze over the river.

Of course the Oriental's service is its renowned quality and you won't have a butler just about anywhere else in town. But elsewhere you could always opt to have a few BG's follow you around wink.gif.

"Their breakfast buffet right by the river is key. One of the best in town! "

At 1500Baht it ought to be!!!!

Sanukboot

Archived