Oriental, The . Hotel and facilities

buffalo_bill

You are of course correct...I once had an unfortunate incident after having flown half way round the world I entered the bathroom to complete my abloutions and flushed the toilet before using it as I'm prone to doing...at this the toilet started to flush and refused to stop flushing so I had to change room before being able to complete this important function.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:blue]"Attitude of staff: Cannot remember any commercial place where people are more friendly than here. This is not only due to Thai tradition but also they are trained to smile til they bleed. The people are the big asset of this hotel."color=blue>

I did not experience the Oriental but at the Dusit Thani they have a smile like that and I find it to be the most artificial smile I never encounter in Thailand and I don't find that the staff are very friendly very helping but not friendly at all because they are taught to be like windows pane and to act like they are not there.

Great report, buffalo_bill.

Thanks for sharing that with us. Cleared up a lot. I also here Sala Rim Naam is totaly awesome.

Any problem taking a B/G just to the Veranda Bar, if reasonably dressed?

HT

Thank-you for the fine hotel report. Although I will probably never stay there (unless i win a powerball lottery) I am curious about this Hotel, that is often said to be one of the best in the world.

I might get adventuresome enough to check ou the verandah coffee shop. Can your average sanuker just walk in no poblems?

Gummigut,

no question remains unanswerded : in room crappers are fine, you can even keep on watching your sweetheart through a glassdoor whilst in position. But you can also close the glassdoor.

The most peaceful hongnam in all of Asia, a heaven of tranquility , a stylish retreat for the Far East Traveller is the one which belongs to the Author's Lounge. It is so discreetly positioned that nobody finds it except the experts. Highly recommended here. 10 out of 10 on the hongnam scale.

bb

Agree fully with you, bill!

Married there last february, in the Author's Lounge & garden. Complementary room(s) in the garden wing.

Superb! Never been in a finer hotel.

Gentlemen,

I am definitely overwhelmed by the response to my simple undemanding thread and consequently feel encouraged to add a few aspects.

The Oriental is neither a museum nor a temple but a factory for producing profits if possible. The building is owned by ItalThai and Hongkong Land , by the way. A huge contribution to their balance sheet results from functions and restaurants . It is therefore wrong to think that you come across somebody who does not want your bargirl friend to spend yours or her money on the terrace or elsewhere. There is also no dresscode before 6:00 PM. It means after 6:00 you are requested not to wear shorts and sneakers in the public area. This is a request and not an order.The only thing that drives them mad are backpackers.

Bargirls in post-barfine outfit will not cause any concern. I would even say that the Thai staff treat them with a certain sympathy because most of the guests are falangs. In particular during afternoon there are plenty tourists on the terrace, many of whom are a lot less pleasing to watch than the average bg.

Further the typical guests are not Rockefeller and family, they are mostly easy going sanukers like myself. Plenty of honeymooners . The average duration of a visit is 2/3 days although some people spend up to 3 month a year, again and again.

Big Kev . I spent the whole morning trying to recall how many towels there are in the room. It must be 12. If you want another 200 , no questions asked and you don't even have to tip the maid. Disadvantage : on your next visit you will find your room stuffed with towels up to the roof because it will be in your dossier til the end of time.

cheers

bb

Archived