No smoking in Bangkok as of 1st August

Yehtmae

did we smokers ever fine you because you don't smoke?

if it is not allowed in a place not to smoke, well, be happy there and i will stay away. no problem.

i am not going to smoke in the apartment of a nonsmoker, but if a nonsmoker thinks he can dictate me in my place not to smoke, he should better stay away.

many barowners are smoking themselves, and would most probably prefer to keep their bars smoking places. why do you non smokers think you have the right to impose your will on them.

if you can't stand it why can't you just stay away then?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and by the way, for you it might be a sad addiction, not for me. i do like smoking, it gives me a lot of pleasure and peace of mind. inhaling the smoke into my lungs is a great feeling. occasionally i love a good cigar, the smell and taste of good tobacco is wonderful for me.

i have no aspirations to give up smoking for the time being.

I hereby promise that I will not frequent bars that do not allow me to smoke.

IMO a nonsense bullshit law.

If I were running this country I think I'd prioritize other things; Exhaust control for buses and two-stroke motorcycles in Bangkok, for starters...

Straycat

Probably the Thai government looked to Singapore where smoking in airconditioned restaurants is prohibited. Fine for first time offenders SG$ 500. But then again the Singaporeans are much more disciplined than the Thais. Wonder whether this law will really be enforced.

Perhaps it's like in France: No smoking signs are an invitation to smokers to test it and nobody cares.

A snippet from a July 5 AFP article:

The new regulations will not, however, affect Bangkok's famed nightlife districts, as bars and discos where food is not sold will be exempt, Varabhorn added.

I think you miss the point about banning smoking in a public place with a fine as a penalty. It is similar to not allowing speeding on the roads and fining those that break the law. Speeding kills not only drivers but innocent bystanders, and it's the same with people who selfishly smoke in public places. Not only are they harming their own health (up to them) but I beleive it is proven beyond doubt that passive smoking causes health problems, and even cancer in those who do not want to breathe in the polluted filth smokers seem only too happy to share with others.-peter

Archived