No smoking in Bangkok as of 1st August

Yehtmae

As a non smoker I'm in favour of this but it is pretty impractical in reality!

A UK boxing promoter (can't remember his name) once replied to someone who asked at a formal diner "do you mind if I smoke"? The promoter responded "... do you mind if I fart"?

Just a thought!

Taipan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this is stricktly enforced, but I'm sure it won't be. There is a similar law in my city and it's never enforced in bars and everyone knows it. I'm used to getting second hand smoke in bars but I've never gotten used to it in LOS restaurants.

Oh, this will be fun............. (and Bass God, this has nothing to do with you - my reply to your post is just my laziness).

I was in California when the "no smoking in bars" law came into effect. For about a month, many places non-complied. Then the bars learned that smokers in general didn't mind stepping outside to puff, and business went up as non-smokers started showing up where they previously avoided. California's population and economy dwarf that of Thailand. But - who knows.........

Now for the fun. The big headline out of this year's global AIDS conference was "If something serious isn't done immediately, 70 MILLION PEOPLE WILL DIE OF AIDS IN THE NEXT 20 YEARS!!!!!!!! That was their dire headline (not my fabrication).

70 million people. 20 years. That's 3.5 million people per year. In a global population of 6+ billion people.

Globally, smoking-related diseases kill more than 70 million people EVERY FRIGGIN YEAR. Smoking makes AIDS look like a mild case of the sniffles. Smokers make "bareback riders" look like cautious fellows.

I know the "handles" here, and I know the smokers who bemoan AIDS and their dear dying AIDS friends. To all of you smoking AIDS activists - I suggest you visit a lung/throat/oral cancer ward. AIDS is background noise compared to smoking-related diseases.

I hope the Thais have the balls to enforce this one. I doubt it, but I'm still hoping. Even though it will kill the background plan that I built into my company registration "list of activities" when I included running a bar - with the plan to open a non-smoking place.

Gauntlet laid. Locked and loaded. Bayonet fixed. Claymores emplaced. Come on, come on..........

Bplah cahrt....

SS

Sounds like a good plan, but I am sure a lot of money will be made from it.

I think there will be some "smoking licsences" issued for a fee soon after.

If they start fining tourists

If they start fining bar owners

-----------------------------------------

Stop the ethno-centrism. Who said the regulations were targeted at tourists? Any way you can rememeber that BKK (laws only in BKK, poster says) has up to 5 or 6 million people but a few 10 000s tourists in any given day.....

but if a nonsmoker thinks he can dictate me in my place not to smoke

-------------------------

did the law say in your home? you guys went up in flames just to realize that public drinking joints were pretty much on the whole exempted from the regulation. Now, all these arguments are gone...in smoke.

just think about your post again.

it is gonna be funny if you would discuss that with the leading experts in that field. i am not gonna waste my time here to do that.

Archived