No smoking in Bangkok as of 1st August

Yehtmae

You know, after all is said, i agree that it is up to each one to decide what to do in their place, club owner or home-owner, but in the same token i refuse that my taxes be used to treat someone who said all his life that was his choice to damage his own health (same with alcohol, if you wish). Great! No problem: Your responsibility to smoke, your responsibility to deal with the consequences.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, and i would have no problem with insurances levelling a higher charge on smokers (or drinkers).

or let a part of the taxes put on tobacco be used for those treatments. governments (and so the public) get a lot of money by taxing tobacco.

i just think that governments in their anti smoking drive intrude too far into the privacy of us people.

Not really a reply to Pattaya127. I'm just tagging on the end here and musing that, of all things in the world today, it seems that smoking or non-smoking discussions never fail to excite.

A wee observation. There's a pub chain in the UK called Wetherspoons. It has no music and sells real ale (sometimes good venues for chatting, othertimes just plain dull) and they also have a non-smoking area. When these places are heaving and no-one can get a seat there are always free tables in the non-smoking section. They've whinged and whined and then, having got their own way, these spaces are rarely used. Now that's a wind-up.

A lot of these pubs seem to be called 'The Moon under Water'. I believe this was the name of Winston Smith's local boozer in Orwell's '1984'. How apposite.

It may be that some folks won't be happy until all recreational adult meeting places resemble 'Central Perk' in that claptrap 'Friends'.

I want to start the backlash right here and now against people who eat crisps and peanuts in bars and pubs. Have something to eat before you go out you muppets. I CAN'T PUT MY CIGARETTE OUT IN THE ASHTRAY 'COS OF YOUR BLEEDING EMPTY CRISP PACKETS. Really, some people have no consideration...;)

[color:red]i just think that governments in their... intrude too far into the privacy of us people.color=red>

But no such thing in Fidel's Cuba.

Sorry, but I just could not resist. wink.gif

(If you get seriously pissed off -- PM me.)

Happy smoking!

Straycat

at least in fidel's cuba i wouldn't have to smuggle in my prime cigars from canada, and i could smoke 'em in nice female company... smile.gif

I doubt if you would ever be forced to put it out in a Bangkok GGB.

But your statement is ludicrous, of course you would still go to the bars if smoking was not permitted!

Fuck 'em, yes that is the attitude smokers have always taken!

wine spilling

-----------------------------

It's called a metaphor.

i agree these laws seem to integrate into coercively making the planet everyday more PC and homogeneous. The health issue is valid, but definitely the implementation has an orwellian spell of telling people what they should think is good and bad in a "brand new world". when you multiply this one with all kind of other issues being dealt with regulations and laws.....

>But your statement is ludicrous, of course you would still go to the bars if smoking was not permitted! <

honestly, i would not. i do not enjoy hanging out in a place i would have to run out constantly to have a cigarette in front of the door. not my idea of a nice time.

>Fuck 'em, yes that is the attitude smokers have always taken! <

what else shall i say when i am confronted by militant non smokers?

i respect the privacy of nonsmokers, i respect that smoking is not allowed in airports as long as there is a smokers lounge. i used airlines like olympic just because smoking was still allowed (not anymore frown.gif ). but i react not very friendly when i feel that my privacy is intruded upon.

there are compromises possible, like a smoker's lounge in an airport. or someone might open one day a non smoking gogo bar (and i won't smoke there, i won't be going there).

so yes, fuck 'em.

these laws take away the ability to compromise. lets just take an office where smokers and nonsmokers work together. i don't know any smoker who does not accept to go out for a cigarette. why should we need another law to dictate us how to behave when we should have the ability to compromise? a monster getting paid to dictate us what common sense and communication can easily solve and enforcing those completely useless laws.

the more laws in that direction the more militant and uncompromising i am getting in the protection of my personal affairs.

kind of newton's law smile.gif

ciggerettes should be made illegal !!!!

and while they are at it, ban alcohol too...

and make marijuana legal!!!!

the death tolls will be way low compared to tobacco and booze...

problem is too many fat curropt politicians are hooked on cigerettes and alchol and deny that its a drug !!

yeah right!!!

I smoke , drink I don't smoke pot, but why ban one and not the other, its the same shit!!

coffee, tobacco, alcohol, pot, can be addictive and can be just used..

all the smokers I know are serious smokers and drink coffee!

still in respect to thailand banning it, well it works for LA...

still you can smoke outside right?

so big deal!

Archived