Why do TG become BG's?

good point.

my girl has a child and no husband(never got the full story out of her,as to what the circumstances were).

she works in the bar scene because she cannot do much other work.

could work as a chambermaid if she wanted,but the pay is so poor.

she cannot realistically even work in a department store/or falang orientated place as her english is not good.

she realised very early on,that she would not be able to bluff her way through.

is now reduced to doing the bar job.

but then again she is a looker and is popular and is fairly well off.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

500baht/month/child is adequate to support younger children left with their grandmother in a village

------------------------------------------

if nothing happens, nobody gets sick, runs into an accident, etc... i think more than a few families get into debt because of such ordeals. Plus: i know it's a case of pitting the good old poor but happy old times and the modern ones, but should we patronize village people and be the ones telling them they don't need this and that, the kid is not entitled to get any toys or stuff that costs more than 50 bahts, when TV, a visit in the next big town, shows all the stuff that one could desire and 500 b/month sends you back to the poor but happy village life with only the notion that all this wealth is for someone else, not you happy villager.

my question to your reply would be "how many true beauties do you find working the bar-falang scene?" I think no different than the "good-looking" population within the factory scene. The vast majority of both populations are truely not good-looking. It is only a small percentage within each would fall within "good-looking" category.

I think it also closely resembles what takes place at the dating services. The good-lookers are far and few between. But what separates them from choosing the dating services and adult entertainment scene. Both want to improve their socio-econ standing. Yet, their mindset are completely different from each other. True, some of the dating service girls are much more mainstream (better eduaction and better jobs) than their Bg counterparts (but some are not). My question would be is "morality" the difference here? I believe so......

Cardinalblue

No one has a right to pass judgement on these people.

--------------------------------------------

And not too many farangs do, IMO. Most girls, i think, do not need much chatting to tell their little story, and maybe not S/Ts, but in the course of a night, a farang can pick up a lot about life as a BG, and lend an ear to that girl's story. I have rarely met one who "did not want to hear that sorry crap".

From a post earlier in this thread by DoxyBlue quoting some figures from the Phuket Gazette for average income for villagers:

"An annual income of less than 20,000 baht is among the criteria used to identify poor households. The survey said that people in 47.9% of villages earned less than 20,000 baht in 2001. The average income was 15,934 baht?"

Going by these figures I come up with just over an average of 1,300baht/month income for nearly half of the village households. It seems reasonable to assume there is no way each child in a household requires 500baht/month to feed and clothe. Medical care is very cheap and government schooling is free to at least grade 6.

Also much or what I post is based on personal observations of typical villages in E-sahn.

What the BGs say about having a child seems to be the rule and yes many have had their husbands abandon them. I don't mean to pass judgment. I am saying that for the majority who enter the trade becoming a prostitute is not a necessity brought on by severe poverty. It is not a matter of life or death. It is a choice. What their exact motive is for choosing to become prostitutes beyond the obvious desire for a better income no doubt varies from girl to girl.

OK you can send 1000baht or more back to the child's grandmother for monthly upkeep but it turns into the same old story once the money is in their hands it will go to other things, payment for BGs brothers? motorcycle, payments on a TV, playing the lucky numbers and so on. I think people are missing my point. A girl can survive without becoming a prostitute. Sure if they want the extra money for better clothes, food and other luxuries I have no problem with them choosing this profession. If I were in their shoes I believe I would do the same. I'm not too proud. And I could only hope that a nice understanding guy like yourself would be my first customer.blush.gif

pattaya127 said "you're full of it, if i may say, Monkey"

Not a problem...

One thing though, if you read all of my posts on the topic I did say the rural situation was different AND that anyone from genuine poverty was different. The examples you give fit into those catagories...

My wife's mum makes dresses and her dad works in a silver factory...but they could afford a good education for her...and they don't get much.

The nurses I know look after their parents...on the grand sum of 8000 a month.

The secretary I know never went past HS...doesn't earn much...but like most other Thai women, wouldn't think of the bar scene as an option no matter what. She's married to the guitar guy actually, but was doing well before that.

Point is, there's a lot of options.

Going on your logic, the 18 year old in NYC, London or Sydney...who falls pregnant...should become a prostitute? Of course not...?

Just like those cities, there are other options in Thailand.

Do you think the cleaner at the night bazzare gets much? Or the girls at StarBucks who serve your coffee? Or the lady who picks up rubbish at the MBK cinema's?

They hardly get anything, but they manage...

The one thing that bugs me about a lot of girls in the trade is that they have very low expectations for themselves. I mean, get up and go to school, learn from meeting farang by showing curiosity about his life back home ie. opening up from their close-minded world, and use their brains so that slowly it takes over their ass to better their life. Waste of a brain is a sad thing.

PS: OH yes!: sorry... My GF already has a child. One at a time if you please tongue.gif

my question to your reply would be "how many true beauties do you find working the bar-falang scene?" I think no different than the "good-looking" population within the factory scene. The vast majority of both populations are truely not good-looking. It is only a small percentage within each would fall within "good-looking" category.

[color:purple] How would you define "true beauties" ? I think too many people on this board assume everyone has the same taste and standards in women as they do when they refer to stunners and 8's, 9's and 10's color=purple>

Archived