A moral dilemma

NongSung

Hi guys,

For days now I'm struggling with a moral dilemma, should I think 'well, it's not my business' or should I act.

It's about my almost-ex-wife (Thai BG), divorce will be finalized next month, we are on speaking terms as life goes on. Lately she picked up her old profession again and is displaying herself in the window in a major city in Belgium. I?m over the fact my ex is on ?display? have no problem with that anymore; it's entirely up to her.

But I do have a problem with the fact she's HIV&Hep infected, she should not do this type of work, in fact no-one with any kind of infectious disease should knowingly put anyone else at risk.

She has no problem with it at all; she does not care...

Voluntarily I was paying her a monthly allowance but since she?s in business again and earning her own money I have put that on hold. So it would be in my own best interest if she keeps ?working?. Nevertheless I would feel much better to support her again if she stops this kind of work. What can I do; what should I do? Leave it like that and mind my own business or do something about it. She certainly does not listen to anyone, she needs money and this is the way to earn it. I could inform the authorities about it?

Your opinion please..

NongSung

<<<I could inform the authorities about it?<<<

Your best bet, I think. How you gonna feel if you find out deaths occured because of your silence. Not to different than if you knew she was going to rob a drug store with a gun, and somebody may die if you don't do something.

Actually, this is different, because if she continue's long enough, someone else WILL die, not just her.

HT

what would happen if you inform the authorities? would they send her back to thailand? she would do here most likely the same thing as in belgium. it would not be much of a solution other than she is away from you immidiate vicinity.

what can you do, she is a grown up women.

if you get involved in that it would mean a lot more pain again for the both of you. as you said she doesn't listen to anyone.

If it were me, I would let sleeping dogs lie and not say anything.

Sleeping with prostitutes is strictly a "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) activity. Protecting oneself against diseases is the responsibility of the punter. No prostitute should be assumed to be disease-free, so anyone who gets sick from contact with your ex-wife has only himself to blame -- you should feel no guilt or responsibility for that.

Besides, what are the authorities going to do about it? If she were walking the streets of NYC, or working as a callgirl or what have you, and you called the NYPD, INS, or anyone else to report her, they'd laugh and say "yeah, her and half the other hookers out there". They would be powerless to prevent her from practicing prostitution because of her HIV status, but could possibly bust her for prostitution -- big deal.

I don't know about Belgium, but neighboring Netherlands would be able to do something because prostitution is legal and highly controlled there. Prostitutes must submit to regular health checks in order to ply their trade legally.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over any stupid, naive Belgian punters who might choose to have unprotected sex with her.

Wow, a tough one to decide on. You cannot stop her working and in the end telling the authorities will not prevent her from doing it somewhere. If it was me though I think knowing this I would still feel that I should tell the authorities, otherwise I'd always have it nagging away at the back of my mind. Working in her state is just plain wrong and IMO if you cannot stop it, at least you should try. Who knows, if she did get pulled in for it she might see the error of her ways and stop-peter

Hi NongSung,

Like it has been said here, cover you ass first......

Call your lawyer, and wait till ALL papers are finalised.

As prostitution is still illigal in Belgium, you can have her picked up without too much hassle, and depending on her passport ( should I guess she adapted your nationality ? ) she can be deported as well.

On the other hand, if - but only IF - she is smart, she will soon realise that it is a dangerous situation.......

Cheers !

What dilemma! Ok I agree as soon as the divorce is final you need to act. Imagine that you knew someone was going to go out and kill 3 people the day after tomorrow. would there be even the slightest dilemma? Even if there was a risk to you. Come on this is a clear cut case of assult, and most likely murder. And the argument of buyer beware doesn't cut it. Once you KNOW that there is a SPECIFIC threat, the info must be made public. Oh and by the way %67 of men have paid for sex, so it is not just some dejenerate minority that are at risk. Turn her in as soon as possible, I am sure you don't want to be an unwitting accomplice.

>>Come on this is a clear cut case of assult, and most likely murder.

If she only engages in safe sex with a condom, how can it be considered murder, or even assault? If you think that straight men can contract HIV from a woman while wearing a condom, what the hell are you doing out on the town screwing around with ANYONE?

And if the punter chooses not to use a condom, I would consider that suicide, not murder.

Archived