Tilac Bar - Loss

jp1

I haddinner Friday night at Sam's 2000, and heard the same thing. This was the rotund German accountant (mustache, glasses) whose picture is on the wall at far right as you enter Tilac, with a girl perched on his back. I first visited Tilac bar in early 1997, and he was already a long-standing fixture there.

I hope he's holding up a corner of the bar in heaven/hell/Valhalla/wherever when I get there.

RIP The Fighting Fish

Stone Soup

Yes, Hans was a good friend of mine too. A trip to Tilac was not complete without a stop to chat with the Norm and Cliffie of the bar - Hans and Harry. It was a rare night indeed when the two of them could not be spotted quaffing beer, chowing down on sausages, and playing bar dice.

Hans was always great for a laugh and his handshake was bonecrushing. I always loved to get him with my windup hand buzzer. You should have seen him jump a foot above his stool the first time smile.gif

Hans had quite a battle with his weight - the guy just loved his beer and, man, could that guy put away the food! I think he cleaned out the cupboards at the International Biergarten on more than one occasion.

He had made several efforts to cut down, but he was unsuccessful. And, now, well, his ticker couldn't take it all.

Tilac Bar will never seem the same now for me, and, I am sure many others. Another true Bangkok character gone.

RIP Hans

Bangkok Post, Sat Aug 10, page 2 had a short article about him.

He has been living here since 1967 and was active in Radio Society as well as his accounting business.

"A well respected figure in the expatriate community here" according to the Post.

Funeral rites to be held daily at Wat That Thong (except Monday) and cremation on Aug 15 at 5PM.

Archived