Work in bangkok. Am i dreaming ??

need some advise from expats.

i am seriously thinking of moving to bangkok and stay for a couple of years. but after reading a couple of posts on this board i think i just should cut the crap, stay in my home country, earn decent money and enjoy a dull life.

however, i am going to ask it anyway.

i have a degree in manufacturing automation (B.Eng) and 3 years experience in developing software for PLCs, microcontrollers, realtime enviroment,... (all flavors C/C++, IEC1131, Java, JavaScript, HTML, PHP,..). and about one year as a team leader.

any chance to score a job in bangkok with a decent salary ?

thanks in advance for any advice.

alex

While I know nothing of your business, so take it with a grain of salt...

I believe your profession has to be in demand here. I know one guy who does plant automation and has done that for facilitites that produces everything from Crest to Panties (think panties) and he does quite well and is continually busy.

You've got one of the few backgrounds that headhunters would be really interested in. I would contact the major headhunter firms (easy enough to find on the net, like grant thornton, E&Y, blah blah blah). Garner and determine interest. If it's really positive, I wouldn't accept a job. Build some cash, get over here for a few months and test it on the ground and see what opportunities open.

No offense to Khun Sanuk, but the opportunity with Vektor would in all likelihood not match the salaries of the international manufacturing companies who would want your services and is distinctly different from the work you are performing now.

<<burp>>

>any chance to score a job in bangkok with a decent salary ? <

i definately think so, but you should not try local hire, try for an expat contract from the west.

• [color:blue]"any chance to score a job in bangkok with a decent salary ?"color=blue>

What I have heard, it-people can get THB 20,000 - THB 30,00 per month with a local contract. Are you sure, you want to live from this? Try to get an expat job, but what I have heard, the golden days for expat contracts are over now too (I heard of contracts from well known international companies for THB 1,000,000 - 1,200,000 p.a.).

thanks for your help.

i reckon i will give the international recruitment companys a shot.

any experience on living on 30000 - 40000 baht/month ? what is possible (living, saving,...) ?

alex

It's certainly possible to live on 30k-40k per month in Thailand. No probs actually. Though, you have to do it in Thai style. As a newbie in Thailand that can be difficult.

When you've stayed here a while, picked up a bit on the language and fixed the perspectives so to speak then it'll be easy to find appropriate housing etc and you'll get by on 40K. With that kind of money there will not be any frequent visits to the entertainment spots though (but that's a thing the majority will grow out of in a years time anyway)....

100K per month is probably more what you need for a good living, savings, and frequent fun. That's my opinion, at least.

The issue has been discussed several times previously on the board. I suggest a search of old posts!

Cheers,

Straycat

I know of well experienced teachers working for THB 20,000 per month. They are native speakers and have a proven record of former working-experience in Saudi Arabia as a teacher.

A micro-biologist with a university degree (western university) told me, he is working for THB 40,000 per month on a project basis. I.e.: When he is needed, he gets money, when he is not needed, he gets nothing.

When working in the it-sector you are facing the keen competition of well trained and skilled local workers, that are willing to go for THB 15,000. So, as a company-owner, why should I pay more?

IMO, the best thing is trying to get an expat contract (and stay away from the night-life) or coming to LOS and living from the savings/ interests.

That is my opinion, others may vary.

I think we can safely skip the teaching subtopic as that is adequately covered elsewhere. And if you are a new reader and reading this and would like that information, please do a search and/or start a new thread.

As for the gentleman in question, he is not just in general IT. He is in manufacturing automation. Pretty precise field with which he has a degree in and which there seems to be a decent demand for (the person I know has a car, is constantly hound 7-ways till Sunday). Just like there is a demand for high level telecommunications folks (which can be considered IT as well).

He is most likely making a decent living. I suggest he should blow 5K on coming over here for three months and walking the beat and talking to manufacturers and headhunters. He is not going to get parcel jobs that will net him 10-20k per month (unless he's just working a few days).

And if you do that, please let us know what you find smile.gif

<<burp>>

Archived