Hotel selection dilemma

gtharm

Hi, guys! I will be coming to LoS soon for my first time ever and am wondering about a few things regarding hotels. Right now I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide on where to stay and maybe some of you experienced individuals out there can throw a newbie some advice. Here is what I am looking for...

1) Decent location. I would like to be within walking distance of one or more entertainment areas. Preferably NEP and maybe SC as well. I just like the option of being able to walk outside and "explore". I don't want to be stuck having to take a taxi everytime I leave the hotel to down a few beers and enjoy the nightlife.

2) Clean. I am not so concerned with ammenities as just sanitary room/bathroom. I don't want to be safe with the girls only to catch something from the hotels. This is one of the things that has swayed me from Nana Hotel, as I've heard some horror stories of the conditions. It doesn't have to be spotless by any means. Just not a health hazzard.

3) Guest friendly. Preferably multi-guest friendly. Well, I think for most of us this is very important for cost and hassle reasons. I don't want a place that is going to charge me ANYTHING extra for bringing a guest or multiple guests. Nor, do I want to be hounded or have any company bothered, although "guest" ID taking is fine, as I realize it's juts a safety thing more than anything.

Cost is not really too big of a deal to me. This is my first real vacation in many years and is my first trip to this new and exciting place. I would, however, like to stay below, say, $125 USD a night. Something cost-effective would be nice.

That said, I have been thinking of maybe JW Marriot, but that is definitely in the end range of price that I would like to go.

Also, I am curious about booking. I have actually checked out some of the booking options for a few hotels online. Now, from what I understand, it's usually a good idea to book a double to help ensure guest tolerance. However, some of the hotels did not have a double option on the room, but DID have an option for how many people. What do you guys usually do in this situation? Do you book a single, but choose 2 guests? Will they require the second guest's name or info or anything?

Also, I noticed that for JW Marriot, they classify some of their rates as "Corporate Rates" and some as "Regular Rates". I could not find a difference except that the "Regular Rates" are alot more expensive. It appears I can book a room at a "Corporate Rate", though. So, I'm a little confused about that...

Anyway, sorry, for the book. I did make an effort to find out most of this info before I decided to post, but couldn't seem to find the answers or enough opinions to really help me out.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Beers on me for anyone who is kind enough to point the clueless in the right direction. smile.gif

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't waste your money on a expensive hotel, you won't get any thanks for it. Use the cash for having fun.

Remember, you're not there to show the Thais how much money you have.

A clean and guest friendly hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 4 is the Woraburi Inn www.woraburi.com

Standard Double is 675 baht($16) Deluxe(pictured on the site) is 765($18) and the Junior Suite 900 ($21). There are larger suites available at an equally reasonable cost.

The hotel is new, so no problem with grubby surroundings.

Your savings can now be used for more intensive fun.

Royal President, Suk Soi 15. A suite, large bathroom, kitchen.

Separate entry, nobody to see you (a sleeping guard man is there but no questions asked). You can take 10 people in if you want.

Next to CP, between Nana and Soi Cowboy. Both sides are walking distance.

About 2200Bht, clean, large (55sqm)although not much direct sunlight.

Or, Rembrandt suites, Suk Soi 20.

5min walk to Soi Cowboy. 1800Bht per night. Guest friendly. Pool, restaurant.

I'll go against the conventional wisdom offered to date, and recommend the JW Marriott. But you don't need to pay the rates Marriott lists. You can book the JW on www.priceline.com.hk. Winning bids per night have ranged from $390 HKD to $410 HKD, which works out to $50-$60 per night including taxes.

For my tastes, many of the places previously recommended are real flea traps, and I have not problem paying a little more for a really great hotel, in a great location.

"For my tastes, many of the places previously recommended are real flea traps, and I have not problem paying a little more for a really great hotel, in a great location."

Each to ones own taste. But I disagree with the description "flea traps". Relatively cheap hotels in Bangkok have a very good standard.

Cheers!

The marriott has to be the best hotel on Suk, and if you can get it for less than 4,000 bhat it's a bargain. Myself I don't want to stay someplace which is worse than home, so tatty dumps like the Dynasty etc are off limits. Also, I hate eating breakfast alongside sad old blokes like me, with their bored and vaccant looking bar girls. This seems a depressing way to start the day, especially as so often the other girls are far better looking than mine! Resonable places are the Novotel Lotus, Imperial Impala, Tai Pan and Bel Aire Princess. -peter

I don't think of it as a dilemma. But more like too many good places to stay.

If I were you I would still consider the Nana, especially for your first time. The location and overall value can't be beat. And they do have many very clean, large rooms.

Also I haven't stayed there yet, but the Honey Hotel on Sukumvit Soi 19 is a long time favorite of many people.

Archived