Nation website. Here are some figures:

Average IQ worldwide: 90 - 110

Thailand: 91.96

Bangkok: 96.54

Central: 92.27

North: 87.88

Isaan: 89.73

South: 94.73

8.5% of children tested is mentally retarded!!!

North this was: 16.4%

Bangkok: 2.5%

Thai children also to small and to short:

Boys about one to 5 kilo's to little, 2 cm shorter

Girls about one to 3 kilo's to little, 2 - 4 cm shorter

Sanuk!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First question I ask is what test are they using? What is the size of sample population they are measuring? What are the age groups? Average world IQ OF 90-110 is extremely wide, appears to be more of a range than an average.

I have personally scored genius level to well above average on 2 different IQ tests in my youth and I am currently an idiot savant. To this day I have no clue as to the relevance of an IQ test. I think it is the scientific equivalent to comparing penis sizes. I think the genius who created the IQ test was a complete moron.

The irony of being truly brilliant is that you will always work for a mental midget.

KS as a MENSA member with an IQ of 148 I am extremly interested in this do you have the url for the complete article?

JJSUSHI If you are truly brilliant then you will work for yourself and not a mental midget.

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Average IQ worldwide: 90 - 110

Thailand: 91.96

Bangkok: 96.54

Central: 92.27

North: 87.88

Isaan: 89.73

South: 94.73

The big variance in the results, even among large populations in the same country, show that the test is flawed to a degree. If it were a true measure of ICQ, then the mean score for Thailand should be very close to being the same number.

Let's remember that the purpose of an IQ test is to gather the 'raw intelligence' level of an individual, regardless of his/her experience or education.

With this in mind, one quickly realizes that such tests such try to eliminate all cultural biases and influences- not an easy task by any means.

I remember taking an IQ test when I was in middle school. One of the questions asked what a 'Manticore' is. Now I happened to know the answer but only because I used to play Dungeons and Dragons. Had a not been from an upper-middle class neighborhood in America, I most likely wouldn't have encountered this word and not known the answer. Would it have meant my IQ was any different? Of course not.

So, back to the scores, it simply does not make sense that Bangkok, with it's massive influx of people from the provinces, would have a mean IQ score higher than those provinces.

The only, obvious, answer is that those scores reflect different standards of education among the various regions. As you can see, the lower levels of education are reflected in the lower IQ scores of a test that obviously has at least some cultural/educational bias.

In simple terms, a low level of education = low IQ scores because the test is, to a degree, measuring education levels.

What is tempting for some (including the author of The Bell Curve) to derive is that lower IQ scores are the result of some sort of genetic trait. The conclusion therefore becomes that those people are poor because they're dumb. Therefore they're beyond help and/or somehow deserve their fate.

What should be clear, from the above figures, is the education gap that exists among different regions of Thailand. So where is the education reform?

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by jjsushi:

I think the genius who created the IQ test was a complete moron.

Whoooo!!!!

The original IQ test, defined by Binet and Simon in 1905(France)

The problem with any type of test is to what means they are used for (mostly discrimination) They should only be used for comparison purposes (green apples versus red apples - not trying to prove green apples are better than red or vice-versa) I have a friend with an IQ of 178 who is unable to choose between green and red apples on the market...

Conclusion: publishing that Thai IQ school children test is crap. (I am a psychologist)

http://www.indiana.edu/~intell/binet.html

At nearly the same time as the arrival of Simon, French educators had an especially strong concern for mental subnormality. New universal education laws required that all French children be given an education, and the subject of mental retardation aroused much official interest. As a result, Binet and Simon attempted to develop a test that would roughly estimate intelligence. Binet and Simon came up with a test consisting of thirty items, standardized on groups of around fifty "normal" children of different ages and forty-five "subnormals" of various degrees. This constituted the first major "Test of Intelligence," published by Binet and Simon in 1905. Weaknesses and shortcomings resulted in the subsequent 1908 and 1911 test revisions. There was still one major facet of his theory of intelligence Binet still had to address, however. Binet held the conviction that intellectual levels could change over time. Therefore, Binet developed a series of exercises called "mental orthopedics" to raise not only the intellectual levels but also the actual intelligence of retarded children.

quote:

Originally posted by coquetislander:

KS as a MENSA member with an IQ of 148 I am extremly interested in this do you have the url for the complete article?

JJSUSHI If you are truly brilliant then you will work for yourself and not a mental midget.

Coquetislander if u pause and think about it the world is run by mental midgets and we all work for them.

One of the reasons that the North and Issan get lower figures than the rest of the country is that the students have somewhat "malnutrition", esp. low iodine diet which affect their development, hence, IQ.

The Thai government have been campaigning to urge rural Thai peple to consume more iodine through various kind of cooking,including using iodine-mixed salt.

My IQ is 124 which is nothing significant. One of my friends has 169 and she is VERY interesting in the class indeed.

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Good Thai Girl ]

Hi,

Coquetislander, sorry, don't have the exact URL, but my friend said it came from the Nation website.

(Was once asked to do the Mensa test, but was to cheap to pay for it smile.gif" border="0. Scored 144 on www.iqtest.com though)

Crash, I think you have a very good point there. It is very difficult to make an IQ test that truly measures only intelligence, and not education/knowledge.

Sanuk!

Archived