Anti-foreigner sentiment runs high

racha

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

buksida,

i think the word we need here is xenophobic, thais (politicians)are constantly blaming foreigners for their own downfall

I agree, but this statement applies just as well to many European politicians as it does to the Thais. Here in Oz, we occasionally flirt with the racist right, and our own xenophobia is well-documented. We're not quite 'Romper Stomper' territory, but scratch the surface and its easy to find people who believe that foreigners have taken 'Australian' jobs. I envy you if this is not the case in your part of the world.

I find it humorous that these protectionist policies only result in lower wages for Thais since there is less competition for skilled labor.

[color:purple]

I would attribute the problem more to the educational system of an agrarian society than protectionist policies against foreigners. Japan has a very protectionist labor market but it doesn't hurt them too much as a matter of fact their problem is that their is not enough unskilled labor. Their educational system is world class and their society and resources are geared toward success in the educational system. (I do realize I am simplifying this example and there are more complexities involved)

The Japanese have had over 10 years of sluggish to negative growth. Protectionism has hurt them alot.

[color:purple]

They are still the 2nd largest economy in the world and the primary engine for the PacRim. I am sure Thailand would love to trade places with them as well as several European countries.

As I mentioned before I simplified the example to show that tight labor practices as they concern foreigners does not create a large unskilled labor pool nor supresses higher wages of skilled labor for the indigenous people(that is assuming that higher wages are neccessary vs. the cost of living).

Once again the educational system and the societal committment to education is the true culprit.

true, its the same where i come from. It just appears a lot more prevalent here .... maybe its just because i'm the foreigner now. i just dont like politicians, whatever their nationality !!

Madmal,

Can't agree with you on this one and here is why. Small-time foreigner investors have creativity, initiative, some capital, business-sense and above all are risk-takers whether or not their businesses are successful or not. They actually are creating jobs for thai people who don't have those skills to open a business. Remember, most people are followers and only a small number are leaders and innovators.

To say they are taking jobs from Thais is not correct. The thais who do possess business smarts continue to open and run businesses irrelevant to what foreigners do. If anything, competition improves and grows the business environment. Diversity promotes sustainability in all facets of life.

I think the speaker is just demonstrationg sour grapes. It basically gets down to jealousy so the knee-jerk reaction is to be closed-minded and promote isolationism. In both the short and long run, this type of attitude will continue to keep LOS from understanding what it takes to be competitive in the marketplace both domestically and internationally.

Cardinalblue

I would attribute the problem more to the educational system of an agrarian society than protectionist policies against foreigners. Japan has a very protectionist labor market but it doesn't hurt them too much as a matter of fact their problem is that their is not enough unskilled labor. Their educational system is world class and their society and resources are geared toward success in the educational system. (I do realize I am simplifying this example and there are more complexities involved)

jjsushi,

I second that but there is one remarkable difference to the west which in my opinion is a main obstacle for Japans future. The jap. educational system does not train people to think on their own. Individualism is still considered un-Japanese. It'll take a lot of efforts to change this system. And changes in Japan come very very slow.

I don't know exactly but I believe the Thai educational system is somehow similar.

Archived