Anti-foreigner sentiment runs high

racha

The point is that protectionism rarely works as it is intended to.

Yep, tinkering with free markets is always tricky business. Still, if thai's were able to keep foreigners from operating tourist oriented business, I think thai's would benefit. Maybe not though.... maybe thailand would become less attractive because of poorly managed places, less farang-savvy business, etc.

My main point was that this didn't sound like xenophobia to me. Just plain old protectionism.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The jap. educational system does not train people to think on their own"

"I don't know exactly but I believe the Thai educational system is somehow similar. "

I'm not quite an expert but this is one of the most common blames I read or hear against the thai educational system.This and the lack of analytical thinking,wich seems related.Thai students are not famous to be bright when asked to dissert on a specific topic.May not be obvious with Jasmine or GTG but I understood they studied abroad

"after so many years I still have to be in a situation where i PERSONALLY feel unwelcome, as a sign of xenophobia"

Have you been to the South??When it comes down to individuals U'll face xenophobia from some of them or small groups of them about everywhere though,some places more than others(Corsica,to wich U refered,is an often given example BTW)

>>

Some of the current Vietnamese population needs to come Downunder and witness entire families working in home-based sweatshops for the likes of Gap and Sussan, companies who have repeatedly shown that they are willing to exploit workers anywhere, anytime.

<<

They would still be better off than back in Vietnam. I know a Vietnamese refugee here in the US. The family got split between Australia and the US. Both are doing quite well.

The Cuban-Americans that go to Cuba to visit relatives are treated with open arms by the community.

<<isn't this unwelcoming met only while hearing about something a politician said, or reading about it? after so many years I still have to be in a situation where i PERSONALLY feel unwelcome, as a sign of xenophobia. >>

Was that English?? I posted an interesting experience that happened to me yesterday, I have lived in BKK for three and a half years, just happen to be back in OZ as part of my yearly return, and when it comes to feeling unwelcome I DO speak from personal feeling.

To the other poster, I didnt compare Vietnam to Thailand, it was purely part of a conversation I found myself in orright smile.gif

isn't this unwelcoming met only while hearing about something a politician said, or reading about it? after so many years I still have to be in a situation where i PERSONALLY feel unwelcome, as a sign of xenophobia

I feel that as a stranger I often are met with greater hospitailty and interest than a Thai stranger. Though I don't speak much Thai, so I might be happy ignorant. I once took a Taxi with my ex-girlfriend, when she suddenly commanded the taxi to a sudden stop and we both got out in nowhere. Turned out she had gotten totally fed up about the driver continiously badmouthing me and farangs in general. A good reason not to learn Thai wink.gif

Paillote

I can only assume that they are given a hard time because they ran away, often to countries which could offer them a better standard of living, while others bore the ful brunt of the Communist 'payback' etc

-------------------------

I doubt it, maybe in the first few years after the end of the war, for political propaganda, but i think the input in the economy (mostly, $$ help sent to the families back home) from the diaspora was in the 2 figures (between 10 and 25%). That injection of cash was both welcome by both families and government. Without it, the years leading to the 21st century would have been a lot grimmer.

Archived