Drug abuse in BKK

Plainsdrifter

Says flyonzewall:

>>>As for what else is in ya baa, well lets just say "lots of really bad shit!! ".<<<

i was actually asking recently the professionals what they have found in ya maa, and was very surprised when they said that they have found just ephedrin and coffein as the main base ingredients, none of the rumored opiates, etc.

I'm confused here. I though ya maa was heroin, and ya baa was basically aphetamines. Could you clear this up?

Ephedrine? I've used that stuff in the US when is it was still legal in some states. Can be extracted from some plants with little processing. Nasty wired kind of buzz.

::

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yaa baa = Yaa maa

I.e. "Crazy medicine" = "Medicine that makes you strong as a horse". Yaa baa is the term that the Thai authorities prefer to use as it gives potential users more negative thoughts about trying it.

They're both methamphetamine (Methedrine), a form of amphetamine. Amphetamines are structurally related to ephedrine.. try this link http://www.amphetamines.com/methamphetamine-faq/index.html

heroin is called "pong khao".

during the banharn government they made that change in the official language from "ya maa" to "ya baa". most users still call it ya maa.

ephedrin is extracted from the ephedra plant which is growing in abundance in china. it is one of the two base ingredients of ya maa.

Unfortunately many of us are experienced in dealing with drug and alcohol addiction. So, like many I have had some personal experiences and would like to offer a few thoughts.

If I were in your shoes I would see if I could arrange to have her tested regularly. I would do this because if she were to relapse, she will become more desperate and unreliable. So, it will be more difficult for you to know if she is clean. Having her tested would provide you with knowledge you would not have otherwise. If you could arrange for testing and she would not cooperate, it would be best for you to cease all contact, permanently.

Someone else referred to 12 Step Programs, here is a link to Alchholics Anonymous (AA)

http://www.aathailand.org/

Many people with drug problems attend AA - some refer to drugs as "alcohol" in pill form. In additon, many people in AA also attend Narcotics Anonymous (NA). So, if you contact AA, they would also be able to refer you to NA.

There is also another group, Al-Anon, for family and friends of alcoholics and drug addicits. This might be good for you and AA can give you contact information.

Best of luck

Tiger Moth:

Thanks for your input and advise. As you may know she went for treatment at Police Hospital last week. There she was tested and given some pills to help her with the pain of withdrawal. at least twice a week she has to report for counseling and group therapy at the hospital. Part of the program is spot urine tests to see if she has gon back to smoking.

A few days ago I received a call from her at about 3:00AM Bangkok time. Knew that there was a problem. She called me to report that she did something bad. Because of somthing somebody said to her she went and smoked one pill. But she felt so bad about it that she had to call me to report herself.

I tried to tell her that I understood how she felt but she should never go back to smoking. Otherwise she will have to say goodbye to me forever. She started crying after she heard that from me and promised that she would never do it again.

The fact that she called me to report on her bad behavior makes me feel a little optomistic about her long term prospects.She could just have not told me and I would never have known.

Probably make that two pills (one she decided not to be honest about!) ;)

But looks good. It may take a few attempts and you could get some false starts but it's encouraging that she's trying.

I'd like to know what those pills they gave her were, by the way. When I took my addict to Bumrungrad they gave her things like anti-depressants and beta-blockers (extended use of yaa baa isn't very good for the heart and it can induce panic attacks).

Plainsdrifter : She's doing what is normal in her situation (having a weak moment ) but from what I've read so far she's doing well ! She is being honest and still asking for your help and hoping you respond in a loving and caring manner . She's on the high wire and praying the safety net will catch her if she falls ! And if she comes through the other side , and I believe she will , you will find a grateful changed person to share happier times with !

It looks like mom is part of the problem and not part of the solution . Your dear girl needs twice the support from you in order to compensate for moms lack of concern . But something tells me you have what she needs to help her through ! When she's feeling low lift her up and remind her that in a very short period of time the pain will only be a faded memory . Remind her also that she has control of her life and drugs can take away that control so it's all up to her , with your help of course !

Archived