Drug abuse in BKK

Plainsdrifter

She needs to get out of the environment that is tempting her. Otherwise she'd need an iron will to break the addiction and if there's no one there to support her on a daily basis then she'll struggle.

I suggest you read the story on the link posted by Jazz at the beginning of the thread. Really shows you what people can go through.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>the typical ya maa withdrawal is marked by the addict being depressed, agressive, has no energy, sleeps beyond the usual nightsleep every three hours or so for some time, lasting one to two weeks.

someone pulls here someone's leg.<<

Maybe not...Ya ba can give you really bad stomach cramps while using it, and I know quite a few people that when they have tried to quit the cramps have come back and can get really bad for the first few days.

As for all this about rehab in thailand the only thing's I've heard is that it's a bit of a Joke.

Cheers

Stef

>>>Maybe not...Ya ba can give you really bad stomach cramps while using it, and I know quite a few people that when they have tried to quit the cramps have come back and can get really bad for the first few days.<<<

didn't know about that, good to know.

>>>As for all this about rehab in thailand the only thing's I've heard is that it's a bit of a Joke. <<<

it's partly a joke, and partly difficult for social reasons.

the joke part is that there is hardly any psychological care after the physical withdrawal. people are generally just put in a hospital until the physical is over and then released. or, in the case of the army runned camps, they are trained in "discipline" for some time, and released back into the streets without giving them a job or anything. no wonder that they are back on straight away.

the social difficulty is that in the west one of the main points of a successful withdrawal is complete change of environment and friends. in thailand's very hirarchal and family/clan oriented society this is in the vast majority of cases impossible, as that would mean leaving the family.

so they came up with another thing, i think they call it the "pi-nong system", where an elder (or nonaddicted relative) is accompanying the addict every step of their life.

in one case i have seen that fail utterly, where the person responsible was more interested in watching TV, while the addicted relative was just around the corner with the old crowd doing drugs.

not a junkie, unless he injects it.

what can i say, welcome to thai reality. that is one of the things in this country i have to deal with day in day out.

amphetamines started maybe ten years ago or so, were used by lorry drivers and harvest workers as a stimulant to be able to stand the hard work. before they have used a leave called "bai kratom", which is a very harmless natural stimulant but made illegal. nowadays very difficult to get.

well, now ya maa is everywhere, in my wives village i don't know a single male below 40 yrs old who does not use it, and many women as well.

in every soi in bangkok there is somebody who deals ya maa, and i guess you will have a hard time finding a school in thailand where you won't get it easily.

the prisons are overcrowded, the lawenforcement situation starts becoming intolerable, in my wifes village for example you can't walk at night anymore on the road as everybody seen walking will be taken for a pisstest. in many districts small scale dealers will shot by the police straight away. no trial, no arrest. not a day in the slums without raids.

but still they are far away from a solution. this is a problem which is here to stay, as the logical socio-political steps to a solution are simply not taken. until certain social changes are started by the government, no lawenforcement will have any effect apart from people dying and getting into prison.

I've been a bit of a fiend for this shit too and my own withdrawls have included aching joints and severe stomach cramps, infact the stomach cramps hospitalised my ex gf who sounds a helluva lot like the girl this thread is about.

as for addiction......."its not an addiction it's a lifestyle problem"....words of my psychotherapist. i spent 5 yrs using this kind of stuff daily then went into rehab and was told to change my lifestyle and not to associate with the people that i usually hang out with, didn't listen until i overdosed on some bad stuff, then I took his advice. I was clean for 4 yrs until I started associating with bar girls who were users, then briefly it was same old same old.

still got new girlfriend (clean as a whistle) and dont really have time to misbehave anymore, certainly not addicted.

if this girl wants to give this shit up, then as others have already said several times, what she needs to do is disassociate herself from the people in her life that are involved with it.

Yoda

Says yodavibe:

if this girl wants to give this shit up, then as others have already said several times, what she needs to do is disassociate herself from the people in her life that are involved with it.

Yoda

Yoda,

Well put and may the force be with you........

All,

Remember guys and gals, this thread stays open on the condition that it stays 'clean'..... take care !

Cheers !

Says yodavibe:

>>if this girl wants to give this shit up, then as others have already said several times, what she needs to do is disassociate herself from the people in her life that are involved with it.<<Yoda

Yep thats the main problem, when I was living in the middle of bar girl central it was hopeless. The times that my Willpower was holding up the girlfriend would crack...and vice versa...and then when we were both doing ok someone would just pop round to play cards or whatever and the whole circle would start again. It wasn't untill we moved away that it became possible....If I was still in daily contact with it theres no way I'd be off it now.

Cheers

you are in the lucky situation that you had somewhere where you and the missus could move to, a complete change of scene.

unfortunately though that is for most bargirls and other addicts not possible here. wherever they can go the pills will be around. if they go to their village, they will get it easily there, many of their relatives are addicted as well. they rarely have the education to get into a work environment which is free of the pills. catch 22 all over.

the trouble we have had with my missus brothers, took us a very long time, and a rather large investment to build up a farm to give them an alternative future so they can make the transition.

that is the most important thing in my opinion the government should do to fight the drugs - give their population some form of a future. as long as that does not happen, all programs and all lawenforcement will be absolutely futile. prisons will fill up, lawenforcement will eat up funds the government could use for many other important things, and a whole generation will be lost.

Archived