Soi Cowboy being raided RIGHT NOW!

Stickman

i really don't care how the thai news portrayed it. i was there, listened to the speaches, and had a chat with some of the cops.

there was no raid - there were cops standing to attention, and then walking around cowboy, posing in front of the bars, and had a good time before they disappeared.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Bembaman:

The Thai TV news was portraying this as quite definitely a raid with drugs being the focus. Tourism/safety was not particularly mentioned.

Twice the press at half the price? Tell the home front that it is the war on drugs. Tell the foreign press it is for tourist security.

those bombings in the south are so regular that people don't really care much about them. they were regular long before the current paranoia. it's been years and years.

nothing to lose to much sleep over.

Guest lazyphil

<<That's a bit scary. I hate the way when shit like this happens nobody seems to know about it.... was it even in the Bngkok Post? Thai people seem oblivious to almost everything that happens any more than 3 feet from them.>>

Another classic Fidel one liner!!

Hi,

As Fly has said this was not a raid on Soi Cowboy, but a pre-determined publicity organised event. It was even publicised in the Bangkok Post on Tuesday (see below).

Apparently they are visiting another farang bar area tonight.

<<Bangkok Post Tuesday 29th October 2002

Police will intensify security at venues popular with foreign tourists over the Halloween period.

Immigration Bureau commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Charnvuth Watcharapuk said city, immigration, tourist and foreign affairs division police would jointly patrol Bangkok tourist spots until Thursday night, Halloween, to ensure tourist safety.

The operation will focus on the Patpong, Ratchadapisek and Pratu Nam areas, Soi Na Na, Soi Cowboy, Soi Thong Lo and Khao San road, the venue of a big Halloween party on Thursday.

Defence Minister Gen Thammarak Isarangkura na Ayudhaya yesterday reiterated the government's line that there was no reason for terrorists to attack targets in Thailand.

But he stressed the government was not complacent, because terrorists were now attacking citizens of enemy countries staying in a third country. etc etc<<

The full article can be found on the BP website.

Cheers

farangman

Was that a raid or was that in response to a small bomb that may have gone off last night at Country Road? My gf tells me 2 Thais were hurt and the police - as you would expect - cleared the area. I didn't see anything in the news about it - and probably won't. Anyone heard about this?

On a similar note, my ex wife is from Mindinao, Zamboanga Cuty to be exact, where a lot of Muslim extreamist crap takes place. She used to tell me it never really stopped, just slowed down. Now of course every little fire cracker that goes off attracts world wide attention, when no one cared before. I suspect the same may be happening in LOS as well, and other places also. I just hope the cops don't decide to discourage tourism to try and avoid problems...or Thais blame us for the attacks instead of the assholes responsible.

Archived