Fire in Bangkok?

khunsanuk

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. Sunday afternoon there was an apartment in the Ekkamai area burned out by a fire and Monday afternoon we had the Klong Toey fire.

As for the latter, I was stuck in traffic on Rama IV Rd right next to it. It seemed like a huge fire w/ 20 metres flames and lots of smoke. Probably no way in hell the firetrucks got there within a reasonable time. In fact several fire trucks were stuck in traffic just like me. Not a single vechicle pulled over to give way. What's up with that? The majority of firetrucks, by the way, were not water trucks but the same Nissan pick-ups used by fruit sellers, baht buses etc, only re-painted in red. The firefighers wore plastic helmets, if any head protection at all, and an orange raincoat of the same kind you can buy at TESCO for 99 baht. I spotted a fire captain on a motobike taxi and at least he got to the action within 30 minutes. Good luck saving lives.

Now, if the Emporium were on fire...would we see the same division of fire fighters getting there?

Straycats grades of Thai peoples behaviour in an emergency situation: -2

Quality of fire fighting brigades: 1

Scale: 1-5 were 5 represents the best possible.

:(

don't underestimate the firefighters here, generally they are very good. mostly volonteers, very couragous, dedicated and efficient. very funny are the firetrucks remodelled from tuk-tuks, they even get into the small slum sois.

Large bush area in my backyard here in Thung Wua Laen. Some stupid landowner put fire to his "gras" (why for Christ sake do they do that???) and although it's rainy season that fire spread rapidly towards the group of houses I live in. I gave a phone call to the village head (poo bah?) A guy on a motor bike took 5 minutes to get here and have a look, he had some kind of walky-talky and an other 10 minutes for 2 fire trucks to arrive on the scene. They looked amateurs, but were very well equiped. Drove their trucks into the bushes (the fire was at 10m from the houses at some places) With very powerful waterhoses it was a piece of cake to extinguish the fires. A smell of fire was hanging around and inside the house for some hours.

Just would not think of a fire in NEP or Emporium!!!

Archived