Fire in Bangkok?

khunsanuk

Yes, I agree. The frequency and magnitude of fireworks explosions the last few days has really risen. I know it has to do with the Indian/Hindu Divali celebration, but you have to wonder what sort of calamity might result with all this firepower in the hands of mostly kids.

I suppose there are not many in Klongtoey celebrating Divali though.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So can anyone confirm if there was a fire at the Ambassador or not.??? I have a reservation there in three weeks and three days, it would be nice to know if it is OK. cannot find any mention of the fires in the Nation or the Bangkok Post on the net. Thanks.

uniformguy

Boss Tower is still standing.

Didn't even know there was a fire.

Yesterday, Soi 7 had a blackout for about 10 minutes. Took the entire block (don't know how wide an area) around 5:45pm or so.

As for the Bkk fire department... They do have real fire trucks!!! I have them in pictures when they went to work on the Ambassador fire year!

<<burp>>

UniformGuy - I think your reservation will be OK. I looked out of my office window today and all seemed OK down there - no guarantees though as I have not walked past it myself. I will let you know in next few days when I saunter down for my Bah session with the customer service experts at Bangkok Bank across the street.

Cheers

Looks like it was a chemical fire:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/06Nov2002_news10.html

KLONG TOEY BLAZE

Toxic fumes linger over site

Race to cut level of solvents in air by half

Ranjana Wangvipula

Pollution control officials were working to detoxify a residential area of Klong Toey yesterday after noxious fumes leaked from an insecticide plant during a fire on Monday that destroyed 30 houses.

One person was still unconscious after the blaze, but it could not be confirmed whether the patient's condition was related to gasses released when containers of the solvent xylene caught alight.

The level of xylene in the area was measured yesterday at 20 parts per million. Officials were attempting to make the area safe by reducing that level by half.

Xylene fumes may induce nausea and dizziness, with many of those affected by the fire suffering heavy bouts of vomiting.

Water used to douse the flames had been trapped in a sewer to prevent it from contaminating public supplies.

An emergency response team from the Pollution Control Department was using calcium carbonate to detoxify the water, said Chemical Emergency Response Support Centre chief Sumetha Wichienpet.

Six types of toxin had been found present at the scene of the fire.

However, there had been no reports of serious injury resulting from toxic gas inhalation, Mr Sumetha said.

Since the start of the year, there had been 26 chemical-related accidents, including five explosions and six fires, causing damage of about 600 million baht.

Archived