Concering security in Rio

kamui

Reading the news today I´ve been reminded how secure most Asian countries like Thailand and Japan are. In Rio 541 tourists had been robbed since January. This is the count only for two tourist areas at Copacabana where the tourists go to beach at day and party at night.

see German news:

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/0,1518,223839,00.html

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upscale MP, brand new, flashy decor, fishbowl, hostesses, restaurant/coffeeshop, live music, bar, pool tables & of course the inevitable: karaoke. No latina chicks. Non-sleazy feel. 1900-4500 baht price range.

Part of the 'Davis Group International' whore houses (Emmanuelle, Hi-Class, etc).

It has Straycats 'both thumbs up', though I've never partaken in the physical activities offered on the menu.

june11

You are right, I don´t have any statistic at hand currently. But I spend some time at a research institute in Asia and learnt a little bit about this topic. I am not quite shure about Bangkok but very shure about Tokyo where you will hardly find any robberies (but of course occasional pickpockets) and in Japan there aren´t any "No Go Areas" like in some South- and Northamerican countries.

About BKK, the German magazine wrote about gangs of youths in Rio who robbed the tourist with guns e. g. in the main tourist area during day and night. Do you think the same will happen, let´s say around Sukhumvit road?

I am not quite shure about Bangkok but very shure about Tokyo where you will hardly find any robberies (but of course occasional pickpockets) and in Japan there aren´t any "No Go Areas" like in some South- and Northamerican countries.

Kamui, I second this. East Asian cities are much safer than cities in the Americas. But please do not forget that also some parts of Europe are quite dangerous.

I never felt threatened anywhere between Singapore and Japan.

Japan is certainly the safest country in Asia if not all over the world.

Archived