Concering security in Rio

kamui

Well, in Singapore it's safe because of all the prohibitive laws and regulations. In Japan it's safe because people are honest, at least IMHO. But then again East Asia in general is a paradise of safety compared to other places around the world.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Japan it's safe because people are honest

I agree, that´s what I like about Japan. I don´t remember one occasion of being ripped of there. I even forgot to count my change money, because they do it slowly in front of your eyes. There is only one small problem: You have to pay for the most perfect service I found ever (but I haven´t been to to all continents yet). For Europeans Tokyo is the most expensive town of the world. Especially, if you talk about Sanuk. ::

For Europeans Tokyo is the most expensive town of the world. Especially, if you talk about Sanuk.

I believe not only for Europeans but for Americans as well.

Everything is expensive in this country but as you said, the service in really GREAT!!

Top-end sanuk in Hong Kong is equally as expensive if not more so (I speak from experience).

I never had the opportunity to experience top-end sanuk in Tokyo. I am very curious: what does that mean and what did you pay.

I stayed in Japan before I ever went to LOS, but I mostly went to the Thai freelancers who worked in the streets of Kabukicho and other areas. As far as I remember I paid 15.000-20.000 Yen (~120-160 US$) plus Love Hotel. (I am not sure if they were real freelancers, I presume it is a business controlled by Yakuza or other groups).

Well, what I was trying to get acros was that I had experienced sanuk in Hong Kong that I'd consider "top-end" in terms of what's available to people who are just passing through (i.e., China City Night Club, BBoss, etc).

I'm not sure if I've ever experienced "top-end" in Tokyo -- but the standard rate was 30000 Yen (after having already paid 5000-10000 for nomi-houdai) short time or 40000 LT.

My point (not well-made) is that one can easily walk up to a nightclub in HK and start paying truly outrageous money, whereas the average dude in Tokyo generaly does not have access to anything beyond the most basic elements of the native sanuk scene and so the price is sort of "capped" by this in a way it's not in HK.

Sorry if I'm a bit rambling but I'm laying in bed in my house in the US suffering from jetlag -- fortunately my wife (Thai) is curled up next to me.

[color:"blue"] In Rio 541 tourists had been robbed since January. [/color]

I've spent twice a few weeks in Rio but never felt threatened. Obviously you have to respect basic safety rules. I've heard stories, but mostly of tourists acting very stupid, like walking at night on the beach, alone, with lots of cash in their pockets !

A lot of killings happen in the favelas, drug gang wars, and you definetely shouldn't go there !

In the tourist areas like Copacabana there are a lot of policemen now, and I feel pretty safe. At night I always take a taxi, even for a couple of blocks.

If it does happen to be robbed, however, just hand over the money (people resisting ask for more trouble !).

But I admit I feel safer in LOS !

Archived