Lost my job - gf's reaction

think_too_mut

Yesterday, 1500 people got retrenched, myself among them.

The package is good, at the same level of spending I can carry on for a year. And I won't be out of work for that long, for sure.

Well, I had to tell the news to my gf. Of course, she was sorry to hear that but then went on as if she had developed a contingency plan.

On her part she volonteered to move to another, cheaper room (30 mins by bus to On Nut), to use 30-40% of the available funds, cancel her mobile, freeze any clothes purchases and do whatever it takes to save money. She does not even need hot water (!).

Altogether, over the next 5 months she needs 8K baht per month until end of April, when she finishes her high school.

After that, if I have a job, she comes to me or, we can go and live in her hometown.

The house she secretly built by channeling aside my money ("that your hou") consists of only one big room, 10x8m, she is saying we can errect a partition and close off a part of it for us.

Until then, if the market is quiet around Xmass, she wants me to come and stay with her until mid-January when people are back to work. I'll poke around for a week and, if nothing, I may well go there and stay 5-6 weeks.

Not my idea of great living but I found her try rather warm and sincere.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry to hear you lost your job. times are tough and although i haven't lost a job i run my own business and haven't been paying myself.. glad that your GF is appearing to be in for the "long haul"..

>but dont dispare cause there are heaps more out there dude!!!!!!

Far from disparing - I'll be trying to find a job that pays as much as my previous one.

A competitor (well, former competitor) rang me last night with an offer that's a bit lower, immediate start and months..months..months and months in Denver, CO.

Brrrrr...been there, real winter. Might get back to them if there is nothing else in a week or two. If there is nothing in 5-6 weeks, I'll do anything! Unix kernel rip aparts, core dump analisys, whatever...

Hi,

Sorry to hear that, but you will make it. In the project I am doing right now is a Unix base. This new fiscal year, the budget was cut so much that it is going to be years before we finish what we have to do, actually over 500 people jobs are cancelled, but only 4 out of 7 in my group went back to our home office.

I wish you luck.

Cheers!

Where I live is just 25 miles, about 40K, from Denver and I have found the climate here to be much milder than I expected after moving from New York City. Sure there are some wintry days and we do have some snow storms. But, on average the temperature is 10 degrees warmer than NYC. Also, when it does snow, due to the dry climate the snow is very powdery and melts and disappears usually in a day or two thanks to the strong sunshine that usually prevails.

Of course, Denver is a mile high and 50 miles from Denver, 25 miles from me, the altitude is 1.5 times Denver and on its way to 2 times Denver. So, lots more snow and great skiing.

I also work in the IT area and this week the group I work in was told that we had to reduce headcount by 30% - so, tough times in IT all around.

Best wishes in your efforts to find a suitable position. And, your girlfriend sounds like she is being very supportive - lucky you.

TTM,

Sorry to read that you lost your job, good to see that you are very positive about it.........

Also I'm not too surprised about your GF's reaction, it just shows she really cares about you.......

Actually, I mentionned something similar to my GF last week about not being able to move to LOS next year and what could be done about that, and she was very supportive as well, suggesting immediately to drop all, leave work, family and friends and move with me to Belgium....... You gotta love them for that !!!

Take care !

Cheers !

Archived