Monthly STD checks for BGs

shotover

I know the health section might be a more appropriate section for this subject, but I thought posting it here could get some people knowledgable about this subject to add some perspective.

Thought I would relate an observation and experience I had during my recent trip to Thailand.

A beer bar girl I was with in November told me her bar required monthly checks for STDs, and added the girls are fined 200 baht for each month they are not checked. The clinic draws a sample of blood, and the BG phones the clinic the next day to be told if the test is "problem or no problem". If they are shown to have anything, they are not allowed to work until the test shows they are clean.

She asked me to accompany her to a small clinic near Sukhumvit Soi 22 one afternoon for her checkup.

I asked her how the bar owner knows she has been tested and she shows me a small book issued by the clinic. The small book has months/years (ie; June 45) stamped in it; I would guess it would be easy to buy ink-stamps to show these.

The book does not indicate the test results. I asked how the bar owner knows the results, and she said the BG simply tells the owner "OK or not OK".

She showed me her book, and the only months stamped in it were May, June, and October 2002 (she started working the bar in May). I asked why she was not tested in July - September, and she just shrugged her shoulders.

She was in the back room for about 2 minutes, and when she came out explained she was only given a visual test, and that blood samples were only taken every 3 months. She paid 30 baht.

I suspect many bars are similarly lax in checking girls for STDs.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like everything, there are some bars that take the health/checkups of their girls seriously and some that pretty much ignore this.

Some, as you say, leave it up to the girl and there is plenty of room for manipulated records and hanky-panky here.

Others, bring the doctor to the bar and have the blood drawn in the bar very regularly.

Some bars fine the girls if their checkups are not current.

It would be nice if we had some sort of comprehensive list of the bars that are serious and those that are not, but, of course, this would never happen.

Here in AC, I am told most bars are serious and the girls receive regular checkup WEEKLY in the gogo bars. I don't think it is close to that in the LOS.

I really shudder to think about the controls in the myriad of beer bars, and then, you have freelancers.....

Best for you to make sure you use a condom IMO.

i know the girls carry their health books,but are they accurate?.

all i know is,is that i have visited a clinic with 3 different girls as they went for their weekly check-up's.

the place was full of girls who i presumed were BG's.

i know the girls had a blood test and a vaginal swab taken.

how long the results take to return,i don't know.

and the girl's did'nt grt their salary until the mamasan checked their book's.

the tests and cards are not worth wiping your arse on, unfortunately girls with a problem are still stamped clean. Basically why would they worry if some dumb farang went BB and caught a nasty (albeit a BIG nasty). I have accompanied girls to their tests and in both cases it was a visual check with a gynoscope (or whatever the term is) blood may or may not be taken. And some bars still employ girls that they know are HIV+. Definately a case of ENTER AT OWN RISK

The so called healthchecks are worse than useless. Last trip I took a girl for a night and kept her a month. We had a great time - visited her village etc. After a couple of weeks she said it was OK not to use a condom as she was checked regularly and had no problems. She showed me her book which showed she was problem free. So for one night in a moment of absolute stupidity I went b/b. Next day sanity prevailed and I again used condoms for the remainder of her time with me. i.e. Only once out of many times during my month with her did I not use a condom.

On my return home I realised I'd picked up something! The doc diagnosed Clamydia and Gonorrhea. Six months later I still shudder when I think of what I could have caught through one act of sheer stupidity.

I emailed the girl concerned and told her what had happened and most diplomatically (I did not want her to lose face) suggested she might like to seek treatment.

She answered that "she thanked me for my concern but that she looked after her body and was tested every month and there was no need for her to seek treatment as her tests were all negative."

Given that I could only have caught the nasties off her and she seemed to genuinely believe she was not infected, I came to the conclusion that the clinic she was attending was ripping her off by not testing her properly.

Cheers Hall

Archived