Crisis at Anfield

Robbie9god

It's now official.Liverpool are in total disarray.1 point out of a possible 15 and we look to have blown any chance of winning the title.

For me this calls for drastic action.The transfer window on Jan 1 just can't come quickly enough.There is far too much dead wood at Anfield and most of it has to go.Having deservedly missed out on the 2nd round of the champions league and all the money that goes with it,players will have to be sold to make funds available for any big signings.

In the last few days it has been reported that spurs want to sign Heskey for £12 million.Personally I think he has to go.We don't have the luxury of being able to keep a striker who cost £11 million but can't score goals.Out also should go Diomede,Smicer,Berger,Biscan and also one Michael Owen. ::

Major over reaction you might ask?

No.While he is a fantastic player he cannot form a partnership with another striker.Since Owen has become 1st choice for Liverpool and England a SUITABLE striking partner cannot be found.I feel they never will find someone to play with owen.While everyone works hard to create chances for Owen for the good of the team owen is only interested in whats best for himself.The result is if Owen doesn't perform chances are squandered and Liverpool don't win. Sell him now i say and bring back GOD from Leeds,the gifted Duff from Blackburn and maybe even Bowyer from Leeds or Geremi also.But this will never happen under GH.

Man U are being strongly linked with a move for Fowler,a player I believe should never have been sold.If this happens it will be the final nail in GH's anfield coffin.

Houllier has always had his favorites at Anfield and stuck by them,notably Smicer and Owen.But then he has sold players like Fowler,Matteo and Jari Litmanen who were far more talented players.He has refused to fork out for Duff but yet seems to have wasted massive money on El Hadji Diouf,Bruno Cherou and Salif Diao.Baros,who for me is a potentially fantastic player never seems to get the chance he deserves whlie owen is the golden boy.

Most recently he took a swipe at Gerrard in the press a move which seems to have created further chaos in the camp.Anybody here ever heard Fergie or Wenger publically having a go at Keane or Viera? I think not.

Liverpool fans have accepted the "boring" football under Houllier with the promise of further success and future change.We have seen neither.The time has come for action.Anything less will no longer be tolerated by the long suffering fans on the Kop.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most worrying thing is that Gerard Houllier seems to have been watching different games to the rest of us. Yet again, yesterday he said we played well and were unlucky! ::

On the plus side, Kirkland looked great - far more prepared to rush out of his penalty area to snuff any danger than Dudek ever was. But how could Carragher have played instead of Babbel?

I'd exclude Diouf and Cheyrou from my list of driftwood - they've hardly had a chance so far and have at least shown touches of skill.

Skill is what we most need. Perhaps alone among Liverpool fans, I don't like Hamann and (shock) think that the Hyppia/Henchoz partnership is overrated. Hamann is simply a fifth defender - a David Batty type of player that kids you into thinking he's great and he's stabilising the side because he doesn't seem to do much wrong while those around him are floundering. But, like Batty, he gets little wrong because he attempts little of attacking value. He's a drag on the side in terms of attacking intention when that's what they need most of all. The whole team's too safe. Watch the way passes are directed timidly slightly behind a team mate, hardly ever into their stride. It infuriates me.

As for the centre-backs, well they're good against aerial bombardment but we need some pace in there. In fact, if they were better, perhaps we wouldn't need Hamann babysitting them.

Having said all that, our main weakness is that we simply don't have enough quality in midfield. Compare Liverpool's personnel to Arsenal's and Man U's and they stand up well in goalkeeping, defence and attack. But look at our midfield compared to the best our rivals can muster.. :(

By the way, you might be interested in this article. It'll blow your socks off :: http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/sport3.html

Further worrying analysis from Houllier - http://www.football365.com/All_News/Premiership_News/story_49700.shtml

"The game where it was most difficult for us to accept defeat was Middlesbrough," he told BBC Sport.

"We controlled their attacking movement without being in danger and then one incident in the game (against Boro) gave three points to the opposition."

What's going on in this guy's head? To the rest of us, it's apparent that if you try to spend 90 minutes doing nothing more ambitious than defending for a point, you're bound to get caught out sooner or later.

You make great points regarding Owen but from a marketing point of view and local pride, etc., do you think GH can get away with it? There are rumblings interestingly enough on the Liverpool website's chatroom (yes, I do go there to see into the enemy camp ;) ) about selling Owen for Ronoldo or Zindane type of money and use the funds to rebuild a new team. Will the fans support such a move? Will he even get approval for it? Its a ballsy move if its undertaken.

I say get rid of Heskey, keep Baros as a partner for Owen. Owen is more comfortable with Heskey in but I've never rated him. Sell Smicer, Traore, and a few others you named, get as much as you can and I agree develop a world class midfield like Man Utd and Arsenal has. Diouf isn't bad and I think can blossom if a quality midfielder comes to Anfield he can learn from.

Its a slip up but its not crisis time. You're close enough to us (Arsenal) whereby you can still challenge, especially since we have you coming up as well as fixtures with Tottenham and currently red hot Chelsea. Its shouldn't be too hard maintaining contact with us with these fixtures on our plate.

Without Dudek's blunders, the Man Utd match could easily have been a draw. Disappointing. Yes. Crisis, not yet. if you lose to us and Man Utd continues to win the next few games, then you may call it a crisis.

Man Utd still has some slip ups remaining. 'Pool seemed more consistent than they are.

Question: If Liverpool end up 2nd or third this year in the league, no silverware in FA or Uefa or even Worthington, will GH be sacked?

Liverpool have a crisis?,where have i heard that before?.

of course 2 weeks ago,Utd only in the Champions league 2nd stage and 6 points behind the leaders.

the media writing Utd off since Sept.

yes L'pool are going through a bad patch,but still in the hunt and only 17 games played for fuck's sake.

what happens in a couple of weeks if they beat the Arse?.

but i agree with your comments about the dead wood at Anfield.

there seem to be so many players in the squad now and never the same team playing.

not like Arse or Utd who try and keep a core for every game.

as you said,many of these fringe players should go,and Heskey is the big one.

why does he play every game for Pool and England?,i can only think he has photographig evidence of Houllier and Erikkson together(if you get my drift).

Bowyer turned Pool down once and would Houllier swallow his pride and get Robbie back?.

hang in there,Pool are still doing well,don't get discouraged yet.

all season i've had grief from CS about Utd,but the last 3 weeks have seen us turn it around in a big way.

CS is now looking nervously over his shoulder.

us brits have to stick together.

Call 'em as I see 'em Sayjann, I honestly thought Man Utd would be 3rd at best before the season. I loved that prediction as I hate Man Utd, but if you recall I was always fearful of Liverpool and thought they'd challenge us all the way to May and I hate them also. Nothing personal, okay maybe a little ;), but it was supposed to be an objective assessment based on what I saw.

I agree though, as I did in my earlier post that its much too soon to write Liverpool off, if they beat us, they may finally start sounding our death knell.

Crisis at Anfield? Whining from spoilt supporters is more like it! :D Take a trip to Elland Road where our overrated manager is doing his best to get us down. As if the financial crisis is not enough, he is also fighting with some of our best players. Thereby they are not available for selection. Some of this is out in the open (Dacourt and Batty), for others its a growing suspicion (as with Danny Mills).

When it comes to Robbie Fowler, I think it was a good deal for L'pool. He has almost not played because of injuries. However good a player is, if he spends most of the time injuried he is a waste of money. We might get back half the amount if we manage to sell him.

Barmby is also a waste of money, while Matteo was a good deal. he was one of our best players last season.

Cheers!

I absolutely agree about Heskey.

He's not a Liverpool player, he should go to Villa or something.

I think Owen should deffinately stay and get a good striker and teamplayer beside him, like...Leeds' Alan smith.

He's a very good young player who IMO who do great with Owen.

The only negative is his red card collection.

But I'm not sure if Leeds is willing to sell player in their current situation, on the other hand, I think Leeds players wouldn't doubt much about going to ARS. LIV. or MAN U.

As much as I used to love Fowler to re-sign him would be a big a mistake as signing Heskey.

At least heskry plays

I thougt it possible Robbie would make a comeback getting a regular game at a new club.

However he's finished.

I like Hamman although agree as an attacking force he not too clever.

I think the problem is Livwerpool style.

This year they seem to want to attack more and with the players they have it's not a good idea. If they kept Litmanen it may have worked hower they let him go

They should stick to playing to their strengths

30million on Heskey 11m Diouf 10.5 and Biscan 7.5 a waste

They dont need a player like Diouf.

They already had an overated striker who nevers scores so why sign another ::

Duff should have been signed at the start of the season.

Perhaps he's not foreign enough?

About Owen

I dont think they should sell him as such, however if Liverpool dont improve they may eventually loose him on a bosman

That would be a disaster.

Archived