Crisis at Anfield

Robbie9god

Its very surprising to hear you say that about Owen R9G. There seems to be a number of you Reds who feel the same. I don't know him personally of course but I get the impression MO does like to be the Sun and the team the planets revolving around him. Not sure how he'll do being on a club like Real or Arsenal where you have more than one standout. Still think GH has earned at least this and possibly another year at Anfield, despite my agreement that his tactics are not as effective as they could be. The catch 22 is he stays and the tactics get you a runner up or 3rd place in the league when you could have gotten rid of him and gotten someone in with better tactics or you end up as Champions (God forbid ::) or FA Cup winners despite his tactics and you can't get rid of him as he's brought silverware to the Kop. Ok, you're the manager, you sell Owen to the Italians, he'll fetch 30 - 40 million pounds, sell off the players you mentioned before, what then? Who do you get or what kind of player do you get.

By the way a friend sent me the following joke:

A Liverpool family head out one Saturday to buy their Christmas shopping. While in Allsports, the son picks up a Man United shirt and says to his sister,"I've decided I'm going to be a Man United supporter and I want this strip for my Christmas present!" His sister is outraged at this, promptly whacks him round the head and says,"Go talk to yer ma."

Off goes the little lad, withMan United shirt in hand and finds his mother. "Mum." "Yes, son?" "I've decided I'm going to be a Man United supporter and I want this strip for Christmas." The mother is outraged at this, promptly whacks him

round the head and says, "Go talk to yer da." Off goes the little lad, with Man Unired shirt in hand and finds his

father. "Dad." "Yes, son?" "I've decided I'm going to be a Man United supporter and I want this strip for my Christmas." The father is outraged at this, promptly whacks

his son round the head and says, "No son of mine is ever going to be seen in THAT!"

About half an hour later, they are all back in the car heading home. The father turns to the son and says, "Son, I hope you have learned something today?"

The son turns to his father says, "Yes, Father, I have'.

Father says, "Good son, what is it?"

The son replies, "I've only been a Man United supporter for an hour and I already hate you Scoucse bastards."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Nothing's been said yet (because check_bin_krap's from Norway?) about the allegations of quasi-racism I made against Leeds fans. I.e. that they'd never give a 'slick' Londoner a chance. I'm sure this factor works against Venables whereas Houllier has actually benefited from the intellectual mystique that we attach to foreigners."

As you wrote I am not based in England, so I am not the best one to reply to that. I'll give my opinon anyway. Sure, there are plenty of neanderthals who were against him as a southerner. I was sceptical when he was appointed, I thought his rep was overrated. But the mood among most Leeds supporters was optimistic, here was a man who knew his stuff. So I changed my view towards a careful optimism.

He has had 5 months, and the overwhelming feeling is that they want him out ASAP. It goes for both the neanderthal group and the more informed. I've already gone through why.

Sometimes you get a different perspective by following a club close. I am surprised at most L'pool supporters feelings towards Houllier. You are surprised at Leeds supporters feelings towards Venables.

Cheers!

Hi Liverpudlians (!?),.

although I didn't see the game I know Owen scored, Vitesse hit the post and according to Dutch reports had a good game. 1-0 is meager and weak, considering that we had a very young and unexperienced team on the pitch.

The fans showed their unhappiness by whistling at the home team!!

YES, their is a crisis at Anfield, and considering the circumstances it's regrettable that we coudln't make it worse, and we would've moved on to the next round.

Before the two meetings that would've been a dream and a stunt. A stunt it still would've been but in retrospect not impossible.

Cheers,

Limbo

We've finally hit rock bottom and GH has completly lost the f**king plot.Dropping Hyppia was the act of a very desperate man.Playing Biscan when he had Babbel on the bench was bordering on complete insanity.Can you imagine the boost the sunderland players got when spotting Hyppias' name absent on the Pools teamsheet to be replaced by a f**king carthorse. ::Give me a break!

Things, I feel cannot get any worse.So I'm going to predict Liverpool stuffing the blue s**t out of the toffees on sunday.

From what I've been reading and hearing GH has decided he is the one to blame,Damn right he is.

A fresh bid is to be launced for Damien Duff in jan and a lot of pool players are now fighting to save their anfield careers and their over inflated wage packets.With Lee Bowyer and Stephen Carr both free agents in the summer they can sign pre contracts in jan.Should be lots of competion with Man Ure and the Arse for Carr though.Nobody is guaranteed their place at anfield anymore.

With rumours of O Leary to step into GH shoes in the summer it was quite interesting to hear his comments sunday on sky.

He feels Liverpool need to return to the football currently being played by Man u and Arse.Also reckoned if he was managing a team next season Bowyer on a free would be top of his shopping list.

IMO GH will not be manager after this season regardless of how the season turns out.For me O Leary would be a very good option.He took Leeds to the 1/2 finals of the champions league and kept them at the right end of the table.He did spend a lot of money but he spent it mainly on good players and Liverpool should be a big enough club to handle a big spending spree.He lost the elland rd job for non footballing reasons and I think he has learned his lesson not to spout so much s**t in the media or in highly controversial books.Also he is a good friend of GH so this would ease the move upstairs for the frenchman who must surely realise he is not the man to complete a Liverpool revival.

There is one big problem with O'Leary, which is the reason why he was disliked at Arsenal and lost the plot at Leeds. He is too big for his shoes. As you mention he spouted off in media. The worst thing he did was slagging off players in public (Danny Mills is one example, at the same time he was picked for England). His ego was put before the club, and he lost the trust from the players.

Has he learnt his lesson? I seriously doubt he will get his chance at Anfield, he probably has to walk the hard way with a smaller club first. Its too big a risk for L'pool, and the board would not be willing to do that.

Cheers!

P.S.: Feel free to correct me you Gunners out there if the impression I have of O'Leary at Arsenal is wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

BATISTUTA!

Wouldn't he be just perfect for Liverpool?

He's currently not very happy at AS ROMA (keeping bench warm) and has admitted he would choose an English club if he decides to leave his club.

I believe Batistuta would bring Liverpool's form back with lots of goals. ;)

Gerhard Houllier...wake up and bring this man to Anfield.

He's abotu what? 33, 34? about there. West Ham is very interestedin him. He's not happy in Rome an apparantly its mutual as the Romans aren't happy with him. He just wants to play in England, says Veron gives a good report about England. Says its not as bad as Italy regarding the intense scrutiny of footballers.

A Zola or DiCanio type is god for Liverpool. They are very young, and I think an experienced world class centre midfielder is needed. As I've stated before, someone in the Vieira or Zindane mold and quality.

I am hoping for no worse than a draw on the 29th. Emotions will run high due to the controversy at Highbury.

There are still a host of 'sell Owen' posts on the LFC website (yes, I look into the enemy camp).

If that were to occur that would be a huge gamble and I think nationally it wouldn't carry over well. He's England to a lot of folks. He and Becks.

Archived