No more guest access to the board

khunsanuk

Hi,

Deleting inactive accounts

If I decide to do this (which is unlikely) I would be deleting accounts of people who have not logged in for say 6 months and have 0 posts to their name.

This is what I have done once before when we moved to UBBT.

However, as I mentioned while I could write a script to do it, I would not feel comfortable doing so. A small mistake could have distastrous consequences.

And, WA, no there is no undo for deleting. The only option would be for Jigger to restore the entire database from backup, which would mean us losing all posts made since that last backup.

Registration process

Thanks for the suggestions on these. I will have a close look at this and will likely end up writing something on the main page explaining the registration process.

Sanuk!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me and my computer, but when I log onto the forum it takes so long to download the forum thats its just not worth it so I find it much easier to look with out signing on and if for some reason I wish to post somthing, sign on, post itm sign off, and look some more. Any one else with this problem? Any solution? Thanks

sounds like a great idea. I tend to go with the quality over quantity approach. there may be a few less "lurkers" but I think the end result will be more registered types, and maybe more of a tendency for them to post. This board has been great, and it always seems when KS makes a change it is usually for the better.

"And, WA, no there is no undo for deleting. The only option would be for Jigger to restore the entire database from backup, which would mean us losing all posts made since that last backup."

Couldnt you write the script, back up then shut down for a few hours for maintenance, run the script and if it screws up just restore?

Alternatively, what about if all the mods took a letter, and temproraily could delete accounts under the parameters you set. That could clean it up fast..

Hi,

"Couldnt you write the script, back up then shut down for a few hours for maintenance, run the script and if it screws up just restore?"

Yes, I guess this way it could work. Let me talk to Jigger.

"Alternatively, what about if all the mods took a letter, and temproraily could delete accounts under the parameters you set. That could clean it up fast.."

Again a valid option.

Anyway, let me check how many such accounts there are and how much work it would be.

Sanuk!

The forced login deal is kind of a good thing. I think it is like putting a curtain in front of a gogo. Keeps people who shouldn't be watching from being offended and everyone else knows what's behind the curtain and will go in.

I can see a lot of reasons not to expel people who don't post or not often. Not everyone lives and breathes thailand every day. I expect some may only log in before a vacation every year or two to see what's the latest. Some people may not be comfortable posting publicly. Others may be tired of getting flamed for bad english. The other class of people it would net are spys; those monitoring the board for illegal activity.

Hi,

"I can see a lot of reasons not to expel people who don't post or not often."

I have no intention to 'expel people who don't post or not often'. If I delete any more accounts it would be those of people who have never posted and not logged in for several (6+) months.

I doubt I will do this though.

Sanuk!

Archived