No more guest access to the board

khunsanuk

I read every week or two, but hadn't logged in for months. (I regularly delete cookies).

It's just my opinion, but I don't see the need to log in if people just want to read. I know, with other interests, if I do a search on a topic...if I go to the site and it requires registration like a news site, I just hit back and look at the next site.

I'd of never found this site if I had to log in originally...and that would have been a shame.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says khunsanuk:

Hi,

Just had a look at some of the admin code and was able to fairly quickly (1 SQL statement
:)
) take out about 850 accounts of people who registered, but never logged on.

Sanuk!

How many of those are GoosebayPissHead :)

Khunsanuk,

first I thought what does this thread matter but actually it does : I guess plenty of people are like myself and immediately scared once they come across anything on the internet that needs registration or any other form of leaving tracks. Whenever anybody requests this I click on immediately. What concerns me is that this way you (we) loose new entries who are probably scared by the nightlife-houtgout which often leads you into dialers and other junk. In the name of GoosebayPisshead and other potential horrors I would therefore ask to leave as is.

Bbill

Just thinking what lead me here; I am sure I searched for "Thailand strictly cultural "

Hi,

I understand these concerns, but is it really that bad to register?

Afterall all it really takes is an emailaddress, which you could drop as soon as you get your authorization code.

Besides, by leaving the forum index pages accessible, people will be able to get enough of an idea as to what this board is about to decide whether or not they consider it worth signing up.

Sanuk!

As I stated before Khun Sanuk

Your first priority has to be with your sponsors

Not what other board members think about lurkers

or log iners.

You are running a business remember that

give the people that spend $$$ the most amount

of traffic, so they can prosper from advertising

cheers

khunmi

(I'll be in BKK on the 24th dec cyas then) :p

Hi,

"Your first priority has to be with your sponsors

Not what other board members think about lurkers

or log iners.

You are running a business remember that"

While this is valid reasoning, it is equally valid to reason that I need to keep the members happy since if I don't they will leave, which would also mean no income.

Anyway, I understand what you are saying about the sponsors and I will work things out so it is mutually beneficial to all.

Sanuk!

Speaking from my own experience: I followed several boards before I decided to join. As a newbie to Thailand I took some time for me to find out which board I liked best (quality of posts, range of different topics and - very important for me - style of communication, e.g.). Anyway, now I favour Nanaplaza above the other English and German boards. But the need to register before being able to read the content of the threads could have been a barrier for me to join this board.

I think it?s a question of deliberation:

- To register first might keep some (unwanted) eyes away and will give KS more insight and control over the traffic

- Less traffic (which will be very likely a result of a forced registration) will slow down the registration of new members with the risk that the board could loose vitality and will slowly change into a kind of Thailand "Veterans" board.

>The main reason being that it will give me a better idea of the amount of people reading this board

How about extracting from your Web server logs the number of unique IP addresses accessing the site per day?

Banning enforced on the basis of IP address has not generated much screaming, so apparently extremely few people end up using the same IP address by chance. As a result, the information should be reasonably accurate, while the collection method would be much less intrusive.

Wagner

Hey, KS, here is another two-cents worth of my input on this topic. Italicized portions are from your posts.

Besides, by leaving the forum index pages accessible, people will be able to get enough of an idea as to what this board is about to decide whether or not they consider it worth signing up.

I just had a look at the index pages, and while most headings are pretty descriptive, many are not. And in no case is heading as useful as following the content and progression of a whole thread.

Again, from my own experiences, I really don't know if I ever would have gotten to this point, where nanaplaza.com is a regular part of my daily routine, if the proposed changes were in place.

While this is valid reasoning, it is equally valid to reason that I need to keep the members happy since if I don't they will leave, which would also mean no income.

I did not know that this was an issue brought up by members. Some members asked for such a change? Why would anyone leave the board just because people who do not register are allowed to read their posts?

Anyway, I understand what you are saying about the sponsors and I will work things out so it is mutually beneficial to all.

Business aspects are completely up to you. And I hope things are going well in that regard.

But I think it was Condom King who pointed out that what he and other advertisers are paying for is audience. The more people you can deliver to them, the more they are willing to pay. If this new policy cuts into number of clicks per day, for sure they are not going to be happy about it and the only "mutually beneficial" solution I can think of would probably involve cutting your advertising rates and thus the revenue generated by ads.

As always, it could very well be that I am totally full of shit.

::::

Archived