No more guest access to the board

khunsanuk

Hi,

In a few days I will add some code that will restrict people who are not logged in from reading any of the posts. It will still be possible to see the main index page as well as the forum index pages, however in order to read any of the posts you will have to logged in.

The board *will* stay free, I just want people to register / log in when using the board. The main reason being that it will give me a better idea of the amount of people reading this board

So, pretty much nothing will change for those of you who already have accounts. Those that don't will have to register an account, which is free.

Just to clarify, it is *not* required to sign up for the member area of this site, although it would be appreciated and it would give you a chance to vote for the Best GoGo bar in Bangkok 2002 :)

Sanuk!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like kind of a severe move just to find out how many people are reading the board. And I bet that number will go down significantly by putting this restriction in place.

Hey, it's your baby, KS. And I appreciate all the work you and others put into it. But requiring registration, even though free, almost has a feel of making us sort of isolated from the big wide world of web users out there who might be interested in reading or contributing but don't feel like signing up.

Or maybe I'm just full of shit on this one too.

::::

Hi,

"Seems like kind of a severe move just to find out how many people are reading the board. And I bet that number will go down significantly by putting this restriction in place."

Maybe, and yes the number might go down, but is that really a bad thing? Would it really make that much of difference to the board?

The people that keep this board alive are those that post, and they log in anyway.

"But requiring registration, even though free, almost has a feel of making us sort of isolated from the big wide world of web users out there who might be interested in reading or contributing but don't feel like signing up."

And this too might be a good thing, a little barriere between us and prying eyes.

Sanuk!

I see your points, KS. I guess I'm just thinking about my own initial experiences with nanaplaza.com, which were to check it out a couple of times without bothering to register.

If new policy were to result in the next Big Kev (or maybe Medium Kev) never getting that first look at what goes on here without going through the (admittedly minor) hassle of registering, wouldn't that be a big shame??? ::::

Hi,

"If new policy were to result in the next Big Kev (or maybe Medium Kev) never getting that first look at what goes on here without going through the (admittedly minor) hassle of registering, wouldn't that be a big shame???"

I see your point, but I think this should be a minor issue since it will still be possible to see all listings of the threads. In other words non-registered people will be able to see what topics are being discussed, yet will not be able to read any of the specific posts.

This should still give them enough of an idea whether or not it is worth registering.

Sanuk!

KS,

Yep, both you and Big Kev make valid points........

On one hand you say that it is the posters who keep the 'free' board alive, and rightly so, but it is also the afflux of new posters that keep the board alive, so there should be an access for them too.

Then again, register free to read is not really a big leap to take anyway, and those scared to register will never do that anyway, and is not a big loss :)

Another suggestion : can you cut loose all 'members' that have never or raraly accessed the board ?

Cheers !

Hi,

"Another suggestion : can you cut loose all 'members' that have never or raraly accessed the board ?"

Yes, I can. However, I kinda dread using the script since I don't want to accidently delete posts.

The alternative is to do this manually, something I dread even more.

Sanuk!

BBoy,

"Another suggestion : can you cut loose all 'members' that have never or raraly accessed the board ?"

Can you clarify what you mean by this? For example, I regularly access the board, several times a week perhaps, and I always sign in. But I rarely post, only when I think I have something meaningful to add. (And very, very rarely when I see something that sets me off and I can't contain myself :o).

So, how do you define "raraly"(sic)? And by "accessed" to you mean 'read the board' or 'posted to the board'?

And finally, what would be the reason for doing cutting off members who visit or post infrequently? Is there any harm done if a registered user has been away for awhile? What benefit is achieved by cutting such a member loose?

Regards, JEff

Archived