Latest info on broadband solution for BKK condo?

Hidy Ho

Hi,

I live in lower Suk (aka Farang Ghetto) and have a direct line via TOT. Also have UBC cable at the condo.

I'm seeking latest information on broadband solutions (DSL, cable or ???) availability, experience/feedback on performance, related costs and requirements (2 years on transit visa). Ideally I would like to have 24x7 availability with 256K+ download (upload not as important) at a fixed cost (similar to my ADSL back in California).

Thanks,

Jazz

Things have changed alot in the last 2 months.. Pain in the ass!!!

Cable modem is now 5000B for 60 hours per month.. The TA does not have there 1500 Bhat unlimited ADSL anymore.. and want way too much for it.. There was a write up in Sept Database but it is really outdated. I have been waiting for the new IPSTAR satillite to be launched but that i will not be till 2004 now.. So it is going to be a wait ..

If you find anything else , ex cs internet. give me a PM.. But I am now back till slow dial up.. ahhhhhhhhhh

The other thing is that even if you get 256 or 512 download it will never go more than 30K/sec since of the extreme bottleneck coming into thailand.. I use to handshake at 10MPS and never got about 32K/ sec in one year.

One option you can consider is ISDN, which has dropped dramatically in Bangkok.

This is a long term solution, as you will need to buy some hardware, but connected to a good ISP, canresult in a better than DSL experience.

Another alternative is to use a Satelite dish and buy iPSTAR from ThaiCom.

This is currently expensive, but prices will drop shortly.

JB

• 2 months later...

Sorry I didn't reply - was away for December/Jan and didn't see your post.

We needed to get a router in as we were selling the excess bandwidth to the business next door.

We had been paying 10 000 baht a month (Cheap for a business connection) but now its dropped from that.

If you want prices PM me of line and I'll give you some recommendations.

Archived