Getting my friend over to sweden..

The basic rule is simple..... 90 days in Schengen, then must go back 90 days to LOS, then can come agin for 90 days here, then at least another 90 days back in LOS.

Same same in the Netherlands, also a Schengen country. I see no reason why it would be different for Sweden.

Cheers,

soongmak

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Soongmak and BB,

the reason why I can see that Sweden could be different is that all the Schengen countries don't have the same the entry laws yet! Or have I been gone from Schengen too long now??

I can share Alholks view tho, I've asked for advice many times on the board and was happy to get it, and put it to good use many times as well. However, in this case, I would verify this with the appropiate authorities, which isn't always possible or easy to do, but in this case it's a pretty straightforward simple question to an embassy.

Cheers,

Limbo

I see no reason why I during trips within the EU am denied to buy booze at Arlanda airport but can do it in Frankfurt and several other places. However this is exactly how it is.

Alholk,

nowhere within the EU you can buy booze tax/duty free if you leave for another EU country. You can buy in Frankfurt Alcohol at the airport at several shops who present themselves like duty free shops but in reality they sell taxed items to EU travellers. For you, coming from Sweden, that might still be very attractive, since booze is considerably cheaper in Germany than in Scandinavia.

Hi!

I suppose that could be it. However you aren't entirely correct. The Finnish island Aaland is exempted from this so all ferries between Stockholm and Helsinki make a short stop there and consequently the passengers can buy taxfree booze. :neener:

I still maintain that EU rules are interpreted differently in different countries. I also maintain that in an important issue like this it is better to ask the appropriate authorities instead of relying on a bbs.

regards

ALHOLK

I suppose that could be it. However you aren't entirely correct. The Finnish island ?land is exwmpted from this so all ferries between Stockholm and Helsinki make a short stop there and consequently the passengers can buy taxfree booze. :neener:

I still maintain that EU rules are interpreted differently in defferent countries.

Yes, there are exemptions, such as the British Channel Islands, Isle of Man, the Spanish Canary Islands, the Azores etc. :: The EU rules concerning sale of tax free items are rather strict and have been signed by all 15 member states, but as mentioned above, there are tax free areas.

Sorry dude, but I object to that & maintain as Alholk has also observed, that e.g. Germany is a cool country to buy tax free goods within EU as their shops don't worry too much :hubba:

I've bought tax free cig's & booze numerous times flying between DE & DK as they don't check tickets or nothing. beats shopping 'duty free' in copenhagen where they sell cig's & booze way dearer than in the city shops ::

Bottumline: same law, different countries, different implementation :drunk:

cheers!

Hi Alholk,

"I see no reason why I during trips within the EU am denied to buy booze at Arlanda airport"

This is because of the state monopoly in Sweden (Systembolaget). As it's now taxed liqor it's just possible for Systembolaget to sell. When leaving EU it's untaxed and you can buy. Crazy system, really!

elef

Sorry dude, but I object to that & maintain as Alholk has also observed, that e.g. Germany is a cool country to buy tax free goods within EU as their shops don't worry too much

I've bought tax free cig's & booze numerous times flying between DE & DK as they don't check tickets or nothing. beats shopping 'duty free' in copenhagen where they sell cig's & booze way dearer than in the city shops

IB,

I don't want to enter into a lengthy discussion about duty free articles sold at German airports when departing to a destination within the EU, but once again there are two types of shops within the departure area at FRA airport.

1. Duty Free Shops - always behind the passport control counters for departures to non EU countries.

2. So called Value or Tax value -or something like that - shops, located in the departure area where no pp-control took place. These shops do not offer duty free items but sell booze and other articles at slightly lower prices than in any downtown supermarket. Nice marketing gimmick :: - but nothing tax free. :)

Archived