business slow; prices high

Some of this thread makes a lot of sense. Its not really a BG/FL cartel though they just are all in the same boat. When 2/3 of your potential customers are gone you have to ask ridiculous money. The girls aren't like bars who should have a cash reserve for bad times.When you work like this and two thirds of your trade goes away you have to up the price even if it filies in the face of market economies. Nobody wants to starve or go back to the farm. Bet its mostly the girls who are overextended on lifestyle who give the crazy pricequotes mostly.

But bars that raise prices in a buyers market are showing their cards. Its stupid management or they are about to go under.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Sorry, do not see the logic in this. By quoting ridiculous prices they are risking losing a customer, one of very few. Wouldn't it be much more logical to go for a sure 1,000 Baht rather than risk getting nothing at all?

Oh, and why shouldn't the girls have some reserves? I know most don't, but that again to me defies logic. (I know, I know bargirls and logic do not mix well :) ).

Sanuk!

The headman! Hi! The way I see it is that if a girl has set expenses theres just no point in getting starvation wages. Working for 1/3 or less of your normal salary is impossible might as well give up and go home. How many punter could take a pay cut like that.

As a contractor selling a luxury they can raise the price and just entice harder to make it seem a better deal. Say that the girl has to triple the price to 3000 because she has only a third of cutomers than before. Thats the same income and if she only scares off ten percent with the quote that's still close to her standard or let herself be negotiated down to 2500. It struck me as bizarre too but valuing services is harder than goods and they have bills to pay too.

Reserves like gold they should have something but how they hate to part with them! Extra cash, forget about it. You said logical but forget abut that too.

Hi,

"The headman! Hi!"

:beer:

"Say that the girl has to triple the price to 3000 because she has only a third of cutomers than before. Thats the same income and if she only scares off ten percent with the quote that's still close to her standard or let herself be negotiated down to 2500."

Sure, but if she would keep charging 1,000, while the others charge more, wouldn't see get a lot of the rejects from the 3,000 Baht chargers?

Sanuk!

Hi Vancover,

Just to dispel a few myths regarding bar girls income.

Fact 1 an attractive bar girl who 'works' at getting customers as apposed to the ones who seem to be intent on not having anything to do with the potential customers in the bar/gogo they work, can and do make an income that most Thai doctors, lawers and managers would envy.

Fact 2 most of these girls have a couple of falang BFs sending them money on a regular basis.

Fact 3 most share an appartment with 3-4 other girls so the cost of living is not very expensive.

It is not impossible for them to reduce the amount they are asking for, they choose not to do so because they are in a position they can choose, good luck to them. The more ordinary looking girls generally have a better idea of market economics and will negotiate a sensible price, especially when the rent is due :p

Says pe7e:

Fact 3 most share an appartment with 3-4 other girls so the cost of living is not very expensive.

I think, many of them are in bkk as "guest-workers". While probably living in a good house up-country (parents/ husband) and spending most nights with customers, there is no real need for a big apt.

I got back about 10 days ago and posted most of my experiences. Things were slow when I was there too, but besides one 9+ who played a few games with me, I experienced nothing like the prices you are being quoted over the almost 3 weeks I was in the LOS. Like I previously said, only the one girl gave me a 3000 baht long time quote. Every other girl was happy with 2000 (I tipped over that for good service). I got no short-time quotes, even from stunners, over 1500 baht. Freelancers were quoting 1000 baht. Disco girls, about 1500 for long time. Many times, even in gogo's the price was "up to you".

I did give one girl, who was the most charismatic and energetic girl in her first-floor Nana bar 3000 baht in the morning after a great night with her. She was stunned, and said it was too much.

Prices in Pattaya were the same as always.

I guess it's a case of YMMV.

The prices were basically the same as I was paying 5 years ago, when the baht was 26 to the dollar. I wish I had Euro's to cash in. Enjoy the exhange rate while you can.

You are right about girls having invested in building upcountry houses with their earnings. I actually stayed in the house of a girl who worked in a gogo, it was a very nice house by Thai standards her elder sister looked after the place for her while she was in BKK. Things may be a bit slow at the moment but there's still money in the game. ::

Archived