"Get Out of Jail Card"

Straycat

I notice that the "get out of jail card" pops up once in a while, as for example in Stickmans latest weekly column:

"Just like on the Monopoly board game, this is something that every farang should have. But for some reason, mine didn?t work on this particular occasion.

Many overseas reader might belive that this is a MUST HAVE while I think the power of such a card is EXTREMELY overrated. I certainly don't have one for example. Moreover even if did, I wouldn't bring it up in the context of littering charge, probs with a Sukhumvit lady of the night or a traffic offense. I'd pretty much feel that I'd be making an ass of myself and the "friend" on the card in such a situation.

IMHO, petty stuff is something every farang should be man/woman enough to handle by themselves (or they'd be better off to stay in cozy n' secure Farangland). In severe situations you'd need a bit more than just a card (and it's of course a good idea to have some sort of network for such a situation).

I hear that the last time a "get out of jail card" actually worked was in a Chripstopher Moore novel. ;)

Any experiences to the contrary and/or thoughts to share?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.k. Just say you happen to make the aquaintance of an important or influential person, they will most likely give you a "business" or Introduction card. Should this person be of the appropriate influence, he or maybe she, will say "...if you should have any problems, show my card, and ask them to call me..." Should a problem arise, you present the card, and say please call my good friend and explain the problem...usually the response will be "...mai pen rai..." I know one lady who got a 10 year multiple entry visa to the USA with such a card! She went for her intervirew, and presented the card to the interviewer, and he did call the man on the card to "verify her references." And the visa was granted. Have also seen them work for everything from traffic stops to paying "tea money." Just wish I had such "friends..."

The 10 year multiple entry visa surely must not have been a Thai thing, right? That was at the US embassy (run under US laws and policies...)

Traffic lights, tea money etc -- it happens on at least a monthly basis here. No card. I only joke around a bit. No pay! :)

Yes, the Visa involved her showing the card to the man interviewing her at the US embassy. He called the man on the card and verified that she was who and what she said she was, and that she was a very good friend (maybe family member) and any assistance would be appreciated. The man who gave her the card is a very prominante member of Thai society, pobably knows the Ambassador personally. Have heard joking and playing dumb works for beating traffic tickets very well for Farangs!!

Hi,

Fully agree that if one has a card like this it should NOT be played for a traffic violation or some such.

I unfortunately do not have one, although I think my wife has a couple of interesting phonenumbers.

About 3 years ago mentioning where I worked at the time did get me out of scam though. Two cops pulled my wife and I over (we were in a cab) on a quiet, dark soi. Both of us were questioned, I was frisked, all without any reason given. At one point the question came "then where do you work?". I told him and we were back in the taxi within seconds, with their apologies. No confirmation was asked.

I am convinced that they were trying to plant drugs on me and then rob me of some money to let the 'evidence' disappear. Once they found out where I worked, or at least where I claimed I worked, they got scared and let us go.

So, it seems that especially in cases where you know you did nothing wrong, cards and / or names can help.

Sanuk!

So, it seems that especially in cases where you know you did nothing wrong, cards and / or names can help.

---------------------------

can't wait for the nanaPolos. They should give us licence to do anything we want, unhindered, all around LOS ::! Or send us straight to jail :(, without going thru the start case :grinyes:!

Archived