Eating alone in Thailand

Julian2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Julian2,

My wife and I sometimes do likewise, especially when I am in Bangkok with her and can eat the farang foods I sometimes miss and crave and cannot get usually in Surin (unless I cook it myself, or show my wife how to cook it for me). I haven't seen anyone expressing shock and surprise at us dining alone either.

Oh, and speaking of cheese, try getting a Thai to eat a nice smelly Blue Cheese! :D Payback for that smelly som tam and nam prik they eat. :: ::

Cent

Hi,

My wife flatout refused eating it as well when I bought some last weekend. She even figured it would give me stomach problems.

Then 2 days later she mixed some in with the meatballs she'd made me, tried one and admitted that it was actually quite nice.

Sanuk!

• 1 month later...

I live in Bangkok and often eat alone.

Sometimes at larger, fancy, European-style restaurants.

Sometimes at little, hole-in-the-wall, noodle shops.

Eating alone has been a fine way to meet Thais, especially a fine way to meet Thai women who are eager to practice their English.

Sometimes the waitresses.

Sometimes Thai women who are also eating alone!

And in one of my favorite restaurants, the adorable cook comes out of the kitchen -- whenever she has time -- to sit at my table while I'm eating.

She says, "Eat with friend; food more delicious."

Nice! ::

My missus seems to be the odd one out, when we go out she orders farang food and I order Thai. There is aways a fight for the last bit of bacon in the morning, I hate the competition plus her arse is getting bigger from eating Farang tucker!

Archived