Warning to everyone, HIV test came back positive...

junglesoup

Hi guys,

hadnt been posting much this week. I ve had really devastating news.

Dont even know if I should post it,but I thought if it warns even one person about the dangers out there. But more importantly to prevent someone having to go through what I ve been through this last 2 weeks.

My blood test showed the HIV antibody. I m so sad and lost. But I m also focused and thinking postive and looking forward. Yes its been a shit. My biggest fear confirmed.

A couple of accidents where no use of condom due to bein out of my head and not known what I was doin...I thought about the odds, and thought I would be ok...but I ve been unlucky.

My confirmation test comes back tomorrow. I know it will be positive. I know because after the exposure about 2 weeks later, I came down with the worst flu and sore throat, thrush, mouth ulcers for 17 days...I knew in my heart back then, but hadnt the courage to get tested, until now. 17months after. I havent consciously slept with anyone since...but my girlfriend will have to get tested...its all such a mess. I m in the UK shes in Thailand. Its just one problem after the other.

I m not so worried about the disease, I m lucky to come from a well enough off back ground...people are much more unlucky than me...with this virus.

But be careful out there. Subtype E is the strain that is 95% in Thailand and heterosexually passed. A Harvard uni study showed that this strain can get into your system through langherphan cells on your skin. It doesnt need to get directly into the blood. So be very careful. It only takes one or two slips and that could be that...

I would like to post still, but not feeling up to it at the minute. I have lots of support. I wont let this beat me easily. I m mentally strong and feel ok. I m just going to take real good care of myself with my diet. Theres also lots of hope out there about advances in using the body to fight this virus for everyone...if only Bush would step down and let the scientists get on with it...

so ve be careful once again. A few minutes of pleasure isnt worth this. Find yourself a nice girl and be happy with her...I m going to regret not doing that for ever,

cheers,

Chris.

• Like 1

Ahhhh, CRAP.

Thank you for the wake-up call. Some people undoubtedly think they are invincible or at least not unlucky enough. Its a lottery, even with protection, and as in your case, eventually every number can come up.

I hope your confirmation test comes back negative. Whether it comes back positive or negative, you will have many good years ahead. Keep posting. Keep your powder dry. Take care.

Rick

A couple of accidents where no use of condom due to bein out of my head and not known what I was doin...I thought about the odds, and thought I would be ok...but I ve been unlucky.

.... I know because after the exposure about 2 weeks later, I came down with the worst flu and sore throat, thrush, mouth ulcers for 17 days...I knew in my heart back then, but hadnt the courage to get tested, until now. 17months after.

Symptoms 2 Weeks after the exposure????

This is not usual at all!!

Get a second opinion!!

All the best!

MaW

That has always been one of my greatest fears, especially because like you, I have, in the past made the mistake of going bareback when with a girl in the LOS and other places. Fortunately for me I am not positive for HIV (recently tested) and always carry a supply of condoms.

The only bright spot is that the drugs on the market now and the new drugs on the horizon should keep the virus at bay.

Thanks for posting that, it could so easily have been me or I suspect any number of posters here.If the next test is positive its going to take a while to adjust to your new reality but the advances in HIV management are huge and its no longer the disaster it used to be.

JP

Chris,

I'm shocked and so sorry to hear your news. I can't begin to understand how you must feel right now.

You obviously don't expect your B test to be nagative and if not I'm sure you are aware that, and as others have said, the treatments are getting better and better and will continue to do so and people can live relatively normal lives nowadays.

Thank you for the warning to us all. A brave post.

Look after yourself.

Aw'ra best.

Neil.

Edited by Guest

You've acted bravely and done us all a great service by making that post. I remember the sickening feeling of just going for the results of an HIV test but to hear that you're positive must be devastating.

I just googled for the Harvard research you mentioned and I'm now a lot more enlightened about the specific risks of heterosexual HIV transmission in Thailand. I'm now more committed than ever to 100% condom and I hope other board members are too.

http://www.aids.harvard.edu/news_publications/har/special_1996/special96-7.html

Shit, that is some seriously bad news. However, as mentioned HIV+ people can and do live fairly decent lives. One of my friends found out he was HIV+ about 7-8 years ago. He too was pretty depressed for quite some time, but he's doing quite well now.

KS

• jigger unpinned this topic