Switching to Apple - finally

kamui

Linux....hmmm...

We had a large database running Windows and the CPU was buried, 100% all the time.

We switch to Linux, the CPU activity went down to 30%.

We then switched over our server/network PCs from Windows to Linux, as we were tired of constantly have the PC lock up and having to reboot, like reboot at least weekly.

Now running for four months without a reboot!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cav,

There is a major differance between the systems I can sell to my clients and the System I like working with, I was unbutu before I changed my ISP last April, and I have never had downtime, able to access applications on my home server from all my travels.

ubuntu is not perfect yet, probably 2-3 releases away from being user friendly for your "average user" but it works for me as such based on the applications I use it for.

<<<---Not realy a Geek :o

If I were to set up a new network starting from scratch with 10-25 computers I think Linux for the server and desktops would be a good option provided that any applications specific to the business could run on Linux. Beyond these numbers I'd be concerned with the training of staff in a world where the majority of business computer users are familiar with Windows operating systems and MS Office products.

If Linux supported running the MS Office and other applications meant to run on Windows it would be more attractive. There's the Wine project http://www.winehq.org/ but it still has a long way to go.

Regarding viruses on PCs I think that people are far to paranoid. In a properly configured network the risk of a virus is very small.

Keekwai,

Intersting points, I access my corporate server which is running server 2K via Citrax, if I choose to work online I can use all applications from a remote terminal, if offline all Open Source office applications are now compatable with micro$cum ofice.

FYI most of my remote applications are 3D PDS programmes and dynamic process plant design apllications, my laptop is my toolkit!

Nah - try Ubuntu or Fedora' date=' I took a server to some locals that had never used Linux, said "We can;t" so I booted up the server, and they are looking around the computer, after 5 minutes I said "Your using Linux" they didn;t even know,

Fedora looks and smells like windows.

Dont be scared, take the plunge[/quote']

Walt Mossberg one of the US tech gurus does not think that Ubuntu is that easy to install and to use. I am switching to Mac with the hope to spend less time setting up computers, doing maintenance and solving problems (besides the other advantages of easy use and superior design).

Mossberg is an idiot. You think Vista is easy to setup? Go get a Linux Live CD. You can boot up Linux without installing it on your HD.

PS: My sister switched from Mac to PC because of the ever shrinking floorspace given to Mac compatible HW/SW. A 3% marketshare does not provide much incentive for 3rd party companies.

Nah - try Ubuntu or Fedora' date=' I took a server to some locals that had never used Linux, said "We can;t" so I booted up the server, and they are looking around the computer, after 5 minutes I said "Your using Linux" they didn;t even know,

Fedora looks and smells like windows.

Dont be scared, take the plunge[/quote']

Walt Mossberg one of the US tech gurus does not think that Ubuntu is that easy to install and to use. I am switching to Mac with the hope to spend less time setting up computers, doing maintenance and solving problems (besides the other advantages of easy use and superior design).

Mossberg is an idiot. You think Vista is easy to setup? Go get a Linux Live CD. You can boot up Linux without installing it on your HD.

PS: My sister switched from Mac to PC because of the ever shrinking floorspace given to Mac compatible HW/SW. A 3% marketshare does not provide much incentive for 3rd party companies.

Installing Vista is extremely easy. It only takes several hours to configure the system with all the needed additional hardware e.g.

:doah:

Archived